Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Diagnosis For An Old Claim

Rate this question

pelicanbrave

Question

Hi everyone,

I have posted here before but I don't think I worded my post correctly. I got out of the Army in 2000 with a 30% SC rating. 20% for my left knee, (3 knee surgeries), and 10% for hypertention. I also filed a claim for hearing loss and a ganglion cyst on my right wrist. I was denied for both of those because they were not well grounded claims. I went to sick call one day with pain in my right wrist and numbness in 3 of my fingers. I have the medical record from the Army that shows where I went for that. I was never giving an x-ray and was told that it was tendinitis and was given a splint and on my way I went. He said it could possibly be a ganglion cyst bur I lived with the pain and when i filed my claim when I got out I claimed a gangleon cyst as my problem. 10 months after discharge I was having a lot of problems with my hand and I went to the local ER. The doctor examined me and said PE: "On physical exam, pulses are 2t and equal, grip 5/5. Cap refill less than 2 seconds. Radial, ulnar, and median nerve all test intact. He does have a positive Tinel's sign.

HC: Most likely Carpal Tunnel, versus the ganglion cyst that is not palpable at this time. six years later after dealing with the pain long enough I went and had a nerve enduction test done throu the VA in Charleston and I was diagnosed with major carpal tunnel syndrome with no median nerve response at all. I want to know if this could possibly be a sc disability and is the letter from the ER doc and confirmation from the VA enough to service connect? Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for responding. Happy Holidays!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Pelicanbrave,

If you have any kind of documentation of an affliction while in service, there is hope for service-connected disability.

The crux is typically getting a medical professional to tie your existing affliction to your time in service.

You'll see in these forums mention of a Nexus letter where a doctor states "It is more likely than not due to his wrist injury in service" etc.

What you want to search for is Nexus letters to build your best case.

Good luck! :smile:

Thanks for responding so quickly. I have been to two doctors asking for nexus letters and one flat out refused to write one even though I had lots of evidence to support my claim and my neurosurgeon who did my fusion on my back wrote me a nexus letter for a claim I have for my back but he refused to put it in the format that the VA requires. He wrote that he has read a great deal of service medical records and civilian and VA medical records and he said it was "Quite Possible" that my back problems were caused or aggrivated from my military service. This could be viewed as speculation. He could have written as least likely as not but he wouldnt. It's depressing really. I am 42 years and have valid claims but i cant find a doctor that will write a few words in VA format. I am willing to pay for it and I told them I would even write the letter and let them look over it and sign it if they agreed with the letter. I have been denied once already and have a NOD in with the new evidence of the injuries happening within a year after discharge and continuation of treatment since 2000. I just had C&P exams last week for an increase in rating for my knee and hypertintion. We'll see how that goes. Trying to stay positive!!!

Notorious Kelly, Getting the doctor to write the letter is my biggest problem. I know I need the nexus letter to tie everything together but the doctors won't write it in the format that I need. I know the VA has guidelines but he got upset with me when I asked him if he would put it into VA format. He said that he has written many letters for veterans and have never had any problem getting the VA to accept his letters. It didnt make sense that he wrote Quite Possible, which means very possible, but couldnt write as least likely as not for me. Has to be an ego thing!I just need a doctor that will write me a letter here in Myrtle Beach. Thanks for your help!