Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Open A "new Claim" And Appeal Existing Decision

Rate this question

jmack

Question

I hope that I can get a speedy reply to this question. But, refresh my memory will a new claim slow down an appeal or for that matter will an appeal slow down a new claim for benefits. Thanks.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

A claim is worked in one section and an appeal is worked in another. If the apppeal is at the BVA the Regional Office will have to send for the claim file to work a claim. If the appeal is being worked at the RO the file will go from one side to the other. If you have a claim that needs to be filed, do so in order to protect your date of claim. Even if the condition you are appealing has worsened you can file a claim for increase will the previous claim is on appeal. Hope this answers your question.

Yes. If it is the same condition you can submit medical evidence and ask for a reconsideration. As such, the claim goes back to the rating board for another review. It takes less time than an appeal. Yo still have your appeal rights, so mark the calender to file you appeal within the one year period in case the reconsideration is not completed.