Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Food Allergy Help

Rate this question

Scott D

Question

I have been seeking service connection for food allergies since 2005. Food allergens are causing scar tissue and inflammation in my esophagus that causes the in ability to swallow. My treatment plan has recommended switching to a liquid elemental diet, but my health insurance views that as a nutritional supplement and requires anywhere from a $1000 or more out of pocket to cover costs. I have been trying to get the VA to connect food allergies with the esophagus stricture (currently service connected).

In my SMR the food allergies were written as Oral Allergy Syndrome and for this reason service connection was denied approx 2008.

Should they have service connected Oral Allergy Syndrome???

I am still attempting service connection for food allergies with the evidence below. What else should I obtain prior to submission.

The following is submitted as requested by decision letter (VA requested information that may show IBS (service connected) may be secondary to food allergies): Not sure how to get this info.

The veteran is submitting evidence that is contained in the Service medical record that shows evidence of allergic conditions present in service.

Attached are copies of pages from the SMR which indicates allergic conditions and treatment.

Attachments:

1. Health Surveillance form dated 16 Jun 03 Where allergies, asthma etc… was checked.

2. SMR page dated 09 Jul 2003 Patient presenting food allergy to fruit/vegetables with throat closing (cucumber, melon, orange, bananas, and tomatoes). Possible food allergies refer to allergy clinic.

-I had an appointment at the allergy clinic located at Madigan Hospital. During this visit skin prick testing was only accomplished for allergens like dust, grass, mold, trees etc… The medical staff did provide guidance that avoidance to the foods that causes allergy symptoms is required and the only option to treat food allergies.

3. Printout of medication which shows multiple prescriptions for Flonase and Allegra to treat allergic rhinitis, and a prescription for an EPI-Pen used to treat anaphylaxis caused by food allergy.

4. SMR page dated 10 nov 2004 showing allergies

5. SMR page dated 04 JAN 2005 documenting Allegra and flonase use and allergies.

5. SMR page 01 FEB 2005 documenting a history of allergies

6. SMR page dated 07 Feb 2005 documenting allergies with Allegra and Claritin

7. The Independent Duty Corpsman, assigned to the command I was attached to, is also issuing a statement documenting our discussions concerning treatment for food allergies.

Treatment records in c-file document continued treatment for food allergy testing, and allergic rhinitis with polyps.

Veteran seeks service connection for food allergies present in service and allergic rhinitis.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Had you always been allergic to these foods or was the allergy aquired in-service? If In service only, I would look into the standards DOD has for fresh produce. If they use or require some specific treatment or chemical, check on its interactives and side effects.

This is a tough one.

Best regards,

Edited by 71M10