Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Help With C&p Exam

Rate this question

JayBrown1

Question

I started reading my C&P exam again and when I got to Item 6. Functional Loss and additional limitations in ROM under question b. Does the veteran have any functional loss and/or functional impairment of the knee and lower leg? [x] Yes [ ] No was marked

c. If the veteran has functional loss, functional impairment or additional limitation of ROM of the knee and lower leg after repetitive use, indicate the contributing factors of disability below (check all that apply and indicate side affected) :

[ ] No functional loss for right lower extremity

[ ] No functional loss for left lower extremity

[X] Less movement than normal [x] Right [ ] Left [ ] Both

[ ] More movement than normal [ ] Right [ ] Left [ ] Both

[X] Weaken movement [x] Right [ ] Left [ ] Both

[X] Excess fatigability [x] Right [ ] Left [ ] Both

[X] Incoordination, impaired ability to execute skilled movements smoothly

[x] Right [ ] Left [ ] Both

[X] Pain on movement [x] Right [ ] Left [ ] Both

[X] Swelling [x] Right [ ] Left [ ] Both

[ ] Deformity [ ] Right [ ] Left [ ] Both

[ ] Atrophy of diuse [ ] Right [ ] Left [ ] Both

[ ] Instability of station [ ] Right [ ] Left [ ] Both

[X] Disturbance of locomotion [x] Right [ ] Left [ ] Both

[X] Interference with sitting, standing and weight bearing [X] Right [ ] Left [ ] Both

I had applied for functional loss and was told that I only had impairment of my knee. Would this section of the C&P exam prove my claim for functional loss since there was not an x in the box for { no functional loss}? Also in my C&P exam notes it stated that my ROM is at 55 with 140 being the normal. Where can I find info on the definition of functional loss as required by the VA?

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Where can I find info on the definition of functional loss as required by the VA?

The provisions of 38 C.F.R. § 4.40 state that a disability affecting the musculoskeletal system is primarily the inability, due to damage or inflammation in parts of the system, to perform normal working movements of the body with normal excursion, strength, speed, coordination and endurance. Functional loss may also be due to the absence of part, or all, of the necessary bones, joints and muscles, or associated structures. It may also be due to pain supported by adequate pathology and evidenced by visible behavior of the claimant undertaking the motion. See 38 C.F.R. § 4.40.

This is an interesting read in regards to functional loss and how the VA rater is suppose to determine: www.tnvso.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/evaluatingknees.ppt

Edited by USMC5811