Rate this question

Valsacar

Question

6602 Asthma, bronchial:

FEV-1 less than 40-percent predicted, or; FEV-1/FVC less than

40 percent, or; more than one attack per week with episodes of

respiratory failure, or; requires daily use of systemic (oral or

parenteral) high dose corticosteroids or immuno-suppressive

medications....................................................................................................... 100

FEV-1 of 40- to 55-percent predicted, or; FEV-1/FVC of 40 to 55

percent, or; at least monthly visits to a physician for required

care of exacerbations, or; intermittent (at least three per year)

courses of systemic (oral or parenteral) corticosteroids...................................... 60

FEV-1 of 56- to 70-percent predicted, or; FEV-1/FVC of 56 to 70

percent, or; daily inhalational or oral bronchodilator therapy,

or; inhalational anti-inflammatory medication.................................................... 30

FEV-1 of 71- to 80-percent predicted, or; FEV-1/FVC of 71 to 80

percent, or; intermittent inhalational or oral bronchodilator therapy.................. 10

Note: In the absence of clinical findings of asthma at time of examination, a verified history of asthmatic attacks must be of record.

I have a claim in for this, secondary to Allergic Rhinitis, just trying to get a feel for where I stand.

I didn't get a copy of the results, but they did tell me the FEV-1 is 58% so I believe that puts me at 30% rating (assuming it is approved as SC).

I don't understand what the other conditions require, so I'll explain my condition. I take albutorol (they call it Ventolin here) to control standard attacks. They were coming VERY frequiently, one inhaler wasn't lasting me even a month. I was using it anywhere from 3 to over 6 times a day. They then put me on a preventative inhaler called Foster that I take daily. With this medication the attacks have dropped drastically, down to a couple times a week instead of multiple times a day. If I don't take it (run out, leave it in a hotel, etc) for more than 2 days I quickly go back to needing to use ventolin multiple times a day.

I used to see my doctor monthly, now it is bi-monthly, but that IMO is more because of how their medical system works here. In Korea they don't do medication refils, and can only give a certian amount at a time, so going back often is required.

Thanks.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Foster = inhaled corticosteroid = 30% rating if prescribed for daily use.

I also have allergic rhinitis and asthma. In conjunction with the inhaled corticosteroid, they also gave me Singulair which helped both conditions.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.