Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smc V/s 100% Benefits?

Rate this question

gwvet90

Question

Just wondering if you end up getting a lower rating....... like 70% but also get SMC like L ...... I see that monthly you would get more money than if you were rated 100% = but what about the extra benefits? A lot of nice benefits for 100% = like college, state parks, property taxes, etc...... Do you get those same things with lower rating but also SMC?

Edited by gwvet90

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am 100% plus SMC and married and get 2971 a month. With all the information I have no idea how they compute the rates.

It is my understanding that the quality of life issues may arise our pay up to 25% at the year end. I hope so cause our 2.3% Cola is not keeping up with this years 40% increase in food and the 32% increase in gas price last 12 months alone.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I am sure disabled veterans would want the max that is entitled to them. But these special payments are for special cases where the disabilities ( 100% in one category, plus one or several disabilities at a high rating) are intended for Veterans that are truly, for lack of a better word, " messed up ". And I am sure there is a hurdle with the VA to get these special rates.

I am 100% plus SMC and married and get 2971 a month. With all the information I have no idea how they compute the rates.

It is my understanding that the quality of life issues may arise our pay up to 25% at the year end. I hope so cause our 2.3% Cola is not keeping up with this years 40% increase in food and the 32% increase in gas price last 12 months alone.

Hey Pete,

We are in the same boat in ref to 100 percent plus smc. The thing is that, yes, we get what we get. However, when trying to reconcile what is being presented and the history of the benefit, I find that, in my HUMBLE opinion, the laws, rules, and regs say one thing, but the actual operation is being done quite differently. Have you seen,,,,,,,,,anywhere,,,,,,,,,in the regs that the scheduled compensation is subtracted from the smc to determine the amount of smc. Ricky stated that "I suppose you could........." That's not how the government operates. Things are SPELLED OUT in PLAIN ENGLISH. Now, I will concede that what was written is not necessarly what was meant, however, what is written in law is written. If that is not what the Congress meant, (i.e. SMC is paid in addition to) then they could just as easily have stated that. If the 100 percent amount was included in the monthly computation for smc, I am sure that with the entire US Armed Forces behind them, they would have no fear in saying that the smc amount was inclusive of the 100 percent. Have you seen that anywhere? I mean where do they say it is inclusive, (a memo, a reg, an instruction, a SOP, anything from anywhere that says the housebound smc is $300.) Oh, please remind Ricky et.al. to be careful with the (ass-u-me) because that is what he admits doing. SMILE

• HadIt.com Elder

Shaq:

I am messed up compared to what I once was. I realize that do to the system I am damn lucky to be getting what I am as most of my symptoms that got me the S Award are more due to stuff I have that is not service connected. I am actually sort of in a conundrum as I still shake my head cause when I was awarded 100% I should have at least been considered for S award as I had diagnosed agoraphobia the second part of the law.

So I was awarded SMC and still do not know why cause I do not have a statement of the case although I appealed it and asked for a DRO review. My hearing officer at the review was the guy who messed up when I got the award.I got my no in 3 days.

So my dilemma is to pursue my back pay or give up and go fishing?

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Shaq:

I am messed up compared to what I once was. I realize that do to the system I am damn lucky to be getting what I am as most of my symptoms that got me the S Award are more due to stuff I have that is not service connected. I am actually sort of in a conundrum as I still shake my head cause when I was awarded 100% I should have at least been considered for S award as I had diagnosed agoraphobia the second part of the law.

So I was awarded SMC and still do not know why cause I do not have a statement of the case although I appealed it and asked for a DRO review. My hearing officer at the review was the guy who messed up when I got the award.I got my no in 3 days.

So my dilemma is to pursue my back pay or give up and go fishing?

You are right Pete. I quit.

shag

Ok let me add to the madness and confusion as well.

I have done extensive research recently on the subject of SMC and I have several more pages to go over before I am even half way through this muddle of information.

But I have a question:

What happens when a vet is assigned two or even three different SMC awards?

I have case documents showing such awards, even have the instructions manual showing how to enter the data into the VA computer for the awards, but NO WHERE can I find if they get both awards each month or just the higest award.

Anyone have a clue?

And if you want even more fun VA Math, try figuring out what the SMC rate is for you when you get hospitalized. Now thats fun.

Donewsome