Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Clothing Allowance Time Again

Rate this question

JayBrown1

Question

I went to the Prosthetic Department at my local VA Medical Center as directed by letter I received. I took my damage clothes and was wearing my devices as I do daily. I was ask if I was wear my devices and I told them yes. He wrote on letter that I was wearing devices and said I will make you a copy to keep. I ask him don't you want to see my damage clothing, he said that's not necessary, I said yes it is and I pulled out every thing I brought with me and showed him. He then said ok, I make that copy now. I said first you need to annotate on the letter that you observed my damaged clothing, he said okay and wrote on it and said would you like a copy now and I said yes I would. Veterans, please make sure that they make note of all damage clothing otherwise they could deny you allowance just like they did last year with me. My appeal is still waiting a decision. I was receiving a clothing allowance for over ten years and when they changed to dual allowances I was denied one of them because they stated that it was not noted that I showed damaged clothing even though I did but because it was not noted it was denied so I only received one allowance.

You can request that she put in a consult for something different if what you got is not working for you. You have to look out for yourself by letting them know what works.

i gave a note to my doctor last week, politely explaining the brace originally ordered was not designed to help my problems. i asked if she would reconsider and send another consult to prosthetics. she did. i got a letter in the mail instructing me to go get fitted for another back brace.

Way to go Iceturkee!

thanks jaybrown1. i even gave my doc a few suggestions of braces that would help all thats wrong with my back. i have an audiology appointment friday morning. then i will stop by prosthetics. i will let ya know what i end up with. and i really need to remain firm but polite with the guy.

Great plan, you are stay firm and yet be polite. Most of all, make sure that you get what you need! Looking forward to hearing what you get!

i jotted a few items down. read on one website that a clamshell might help. i believe that has to be customized. and, therefore, eligible for clothing allowance. i apologize if we got a little off course here.

Hey, just got a letter today from prosthetics Department about my clothing allowance. I was approved for one and denied the other. Wasn't to surprised but this is, last year I was approved for my knee brace but not my back brace, this year I was approved for my back brace and not my knee brace! Are they playing musical chairs with our clothing allowance? I guess I will have to appeal this one too! Hopefully I will get the approved one deposit soon!