Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ibs Claim As Secondary

Rate this question

autumn

Question

for years VA had me listed with IBS, i guess, due to years of gastro complaints, issues, visits.

i noticed when i was SC'd for MS, VA no longer lists my IBS (gastro whatever) issues.

i see where some folks on hadit are 30% for IBS.

i haven't been to a MS seminar, MS speciaist, etc, yet that didn't mention the connection of MS and gastro/intestinal issues. yet, the VA (neuro) barely will even discuss it.

i asked PVA about filing the IBS/gastro claim, and they basically said why, "you're already at +100%".

shouldn't i file for the IBS/gastro, if anything to at least get the diagnosis on the books? don't forget they removed its listing when they SC'd for MS. i don't understand why pva WOULDN'T want me to file considering its a real issue that messes with me frequently for the last 23 years.

what say you, file?

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Does your rating decision when they granted the MS state they are considering the IBS to be a manifestation of the MS? Or did they just remove the IBS rating without any explanation?

Edited by free_spirit_etc
Think Outside the Box!

Does your rating decision when they granted the MS state they are considering the IBS to be a manifestation of the MS? Or did they just remove the IBS rating without any explanation?

no, it wasn't a consideration. it was a listed diagnosis, but wasn't included with the MS secondary. i was never rated for a IBS as i never filed a cliam for it. didn't realize one could until this year. and after so many menitons of its link with MS at MS seminars i started to consider doing so.

"i'm thinking outside the box". for adequate acknowledgement/treatment by VA for IBS i should file a claim, yes? my experience is that is the only way to get VA or a doc to acknowledge it

You have a great point. You also might want to check out some BVA cases and see if they rate it as a separate condition, or if they consider it part of a manifestation of MS that you are already rated for. I don't know the answer to that. But a little research could help you find out fairly quickly.

Think Outside the Box!

You can file for any claim you choose. Being that you are already 100% service connected, any medical condition that comes up should be treated by the VAMC. IBS is an internal medicine disorder ( part of digestion) so I do not see why a neurologist would want to treat it. You can have your Neurologist or your Primary Care Provider refer you to the VAMC Internal Medicine (GI)Clinic for treatment and a diagnosis.

Edited by pete992

no, it wasn't a consideration. it was a listed diagnosis, but wasn't included with the MS secondary. i was never rated for a IBS as i never filed a cliam for it. didn't realize one could until this year. and after so many menitons of its link with MS at MS seminars i started to consider doing so.

Oh... so you are saying it was listed as one of your medical conditions on your med records, but not on your claims? I had thought you meant it dropped off your claims.

If your VA doctor won't discuss it, you might want to talk to a private doctor and see if they will fill out a DBQ for you and / or write an IMO that states it is a secondary condition.

Here is an interesting article that suggests that people with IBS have almost a two-fold chance of getting MS.

Think Outside the Box!