Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ibs Claim As Secondary

Rate this question

autumn

Question

for years VA had me listed with IBS, i guess, due to years of gastro complaints, issues, visits.

i noticed when i was SC'd for MS, VA no longer lists my IBS (gastro whatever) issues.

i see where some folks on hadit are 30% for IBS.

i haven't been to a MS seminar, MS speciaist, etc, yet that didn't mention the connection of MS and gastro/intestinal issues. yet, the VA (neuro) barely will even discuss it.

i asked PVA about filing the IBS/gastro claim, and they basically said why, "you're already at +100%".

shouldn't i file for the IBS/gastro, if anything to at least get the diagnosis on the books? don't forget they removed its listing when they SC'd for MS. i don't understand why pva WOULDN'T want me to file considering its a real issue that messes with me frequently for the last 23 years.

what say you, file?

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

@free_spirit_etc & @pete992: i'm going to file for it. i have a folder with 20+yrs of gastro complaints and a number of years of VA diagnosis list showing IBS. as to a neuro

Oh... so you are saying it was listed as one of your medical conditions on your med records, but not on your claims? I had thought you meant it dropped off your claims.

If your VA doctor won't discuss it, you might want to talk to a private doctor and see if they will fill out a DBQ for you and / or write an IMO that states it is a secondary condition.

Here is an interesting article that suggests that people with IBS have almost a two-fold chance of getting MS.

yes that is true, the listing on medical conditions page, va med reccords, but not on any claims. though VA is supposed to thoroughly check MS secondary condtions when diagnosised with MS. in my case, they granted MS at 30% then just dropped it. PVA wrote them and reminded them of the secondary issues. they scheduled exams and the 100+ percentage was then granted a year later or so.

did i miss the link you sent? i guess that goes along with what all neuro's outside VA tell us in groups and so does my civilian neuro. funny, but no one at VA mentions stuff like this.

and yes its the VA neuro that basically just never dicusses it when i bring it up. its a little difficulet for me, when neuro passes stuff to PCP, PCP says its a neuor thing, they look up records on computer but only discuss years old tests versus newer ones, that sort of thing. bring it up and the response is computer isn't working or they can't access stuff. you know?

but pete995 is right in that it is an internal medicine issue, i'll just have to bring it up with PCP again.

You can file for any claim you choose. Being that you are already 100% service connected, any medical condition that comes up should be treated by the VAMC. IBS is an internal medicine disorder ( part of digestion) so I do not see why a neurologist would want to treat it. You can have your Neurologist or your Primary Care Provider refer you to the VAMC Internal Medicine (GI)Clinic for treatment and a diagnosis.

you're correct in that it is an internal medicine issue. since i hear of its link with ms, i bring it up with neuro. i'll just mention it to PCP again.

Good Veterans Day to each and all here who gave and continue to give. a Salute to you all!

What secondary conditions did they use to grant the 100%?

@free_spirit_etc & @pete992: i'm going to file for it. i have a folder with 20+yrs of gastro complaints and a number of years of VA diagnosis list showing IBS. as to a neuro

yes that is true, the listing on medical conditions page, va med reccords, but not on any claims. though VA is supposed to thoroughly check MS secondary condtions when diagnosised with MS. in my case, they granted MS at 30% then just dropped it. PVA wrote them and reminded them of the secondary issues. they scheduled exams and the 100+ percentage was then granted a year later or so.

Think Outside the Box!

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-0960C-9-ARE.pdf

3E. DOES THE VETERAN HAVE ANY BOWEL FUNCTIONAL IMPAIRMENT ATTRIBUTABLE TO MS? is listed right on the DBQ.

Think Outside the Box!

What secondary conditions did they use to grant the 100%?

cognitive(ms), bladder(ms), cervical/lumbar(though they reduced these for some odd reason), hearing(ms), migraines)ms), depression(ms), maybe weakness but i forget and don't have the paper in front of me.

Edited by LSGi