Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ibs Claim As Secondary

Rate this question

autumn

Question

for years VA had me listed with IBS, i guess, due to years of gastro complaints, issues, visits.

i noticed when i was SC'd for MS, VA no longer lists my IBS (gastro whatever) issues.

i see where some folks on hadit are 30% for IBS.

i haven't been to a MS seminar, MS speciaist, etc, yet that didn't mention the connection of MS and gastro/intestinal issues. yet, the VA (neuro) barely will even discuss it.

i asked PVA about filing the IBS/gastro claim, and they basically said why, "you're already at +100%".

shouldn't i file for the IBS/gastro, if anything to at least get the diagnosis on the books? don't forget they removed its listing when they SC'd for MS. i don't understand why pva WOULDN'T want me to file considering its a real issue that messes with me frequently for the last 23 years.

what say you, file?

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"thats the main reason to get it acknowledged, SC'd. at least to me. i see you see that also. and without more testing, who's to say it isn't something else & not IBS, ya know?"

I agree. I saw you had it listed as IBS/gastro -- And yes, I know that IBS in and of itself is not life-threatening per se. However, it is amazing to see things that are listed as contributing factors on death certificates. And some conditions can cause, or be a partial cause, of other conditions. I don't see any reason to not try to get SC for conditions that you think might be related to the military, on a direct or secondary basis.

Think Outside the Box!

"thats the main reason to get it acknowledged, SC'd. at least to me. i see you see that also. and without more testing, who's to say it isn't something else & not IBS, ya know?"

I agree. I saw you had it listed as IBS/gastro -- And yes, I know that IBS in and of itself is not life-threatening per se. However, it is amazing to see things that are listed as contributing factors on death certificates. And some conditions can cause, or be a partial cause, of other conditions. I don't see any reason to not try to get SC for conditions that you think might be related to the military, on a direct or secondary basis.

those contributing factors would be equally hard on surviving family members who see the va never acknowledged them

the ibs/gastro issues started about same time (spinal injury/ then csf infection/then ms) started. mil med rec's show i started seeing doctors about then. never did before.

i'm gonna file. appreciate the help and feedback