Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Claims From Original Incident

Rate this question

Endofrope

Question

I am putting together my FDC and as I read and get more understanding of the process, I want to add TBI due to my incident. My current injuries stem from my incident that occurred in 2005.

If I add TBI can I put that it occurred at the time of my injury in 2005? I went to the doctors about 2 weeks after the incident but I did not report TBI specifically then I just reported that I fainted out the shower and woke up on the marble floor. I reported pains I was feeling at the time and I wasn't sure how long I was laying there.

Looking up the symptoms of TBI, i believe it explains a lot of things that I have been experiencing throughout these years.

It's a long ways from 2005 but dealing with the VA, my own medical issues (depression, etc), and misunderstandings time flies... but God is giving me the strength to fight back and not let the VA/military still my life from me. I was completely healthy going in and now I'm not even able to work right now and I'm only getting 20%. I'm just doing the work and letting God take care of the results.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement here...it has been a blessing in pushing me forward.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Always remember you are not a doctor but a simple soul who suffers. You are free to claim anything you feel is service connected. The only requirement to win is that it be supported by your service medical records and a nexus letter to knit the two together. Too many wait too long and get tarred and feathered by the "It was so long ago that the claimed injury could have intercurrent causes". Strike quickly while the incident is relatively fresh. Far too many wait for cervical/musculature issues past a logical point after separation.

Best of luck, sir.

a

Clear Prop

Like Asknod says, a nexus letter from your doctor tying TBI to your incident in 2005 is key. You can add whatever you want to a claim. The key to being successful is getting a medical opinion that makes your claimed condition the result of or exacerbated by military service. It seems like you have part of that already if your SMRs state that you passed out in the shower, etc. If a doctor today will consider what happened to you along with the symptoms you provided then along with the symptoms you have now, and will be willing to wrap it all up into a nice package, you're in great shape. Many will, especially on the outside. I'd personally recommend a little more than the DBQ form and getting the doctor to write a letter. I also recommend that you write a statement yourself and include it, describing the situation from when it first occurred up until today. Any medical records you have from then until now, including after you left the service, showing treatment for symptoms will also be very helpful to show continuity of the disability.

Hope this helps!