VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Started My Ptsd

Rate this question

mcarter985

Question

Good Morning all,

Just to let you all know that I submitted my PTSD claim yesterday while I was at the VARO for an appointment at the PTSD Clinic. I received the diagnosis on the 1st of November at the VA, wrote my stresser letter and submitted everything (including the diagnosis paperwork) for a FDC.

A little background...I was a medic with the Infantry in Vietnam in 1969 (awarded the CMB within 2 weeks in-country), had a heart attack in May of this year that got me off my butt to start the disability claim process. Received 60% for Agent Orange - Presumptive for the heart attack and now starting down the road for the PTSD claim. We'll see how it goes!

5 answers to this question

In my opinion, PTSD should be considered a presumptive disease for Medics and Navy Corpsman who served in combat with infantry because they experience multiple stressor events and constantly expose themselves while attending to wounded troops while under fire.

I wish you good luck and good health.

Totally agree with you Georgia papa. 20 years as an Fleet Marine force Corpsman has taken a toll on me mentally and physically! At least with a combat action ribbon, I didn't have to prove my stressors! I do miss serving with the Marine Corps. Never forgot the day I was called "Doc" by my first Marine.

robvaner,

I had the honor and privilege of serving in Vietnam with Navy Corpsman David Robert "Bobby" Ray in Delta 2/11 1st Marine Division. I became friends with Bobby and served with him until I was injured and sent to a hospital in Japan. A few months after I left, an NVA battalion attempted to over run our unit on March 19, 1969 and my unit suffered 12 KIA and multiple wounded. Bobby constantly exposed himself to hostile fire and saved many of my fellow Marines. Bobby was one of the KIA. As a result of his heroic actions, he received the Congressional Medal of Honor. I have the utmost respect for Navy Corpsman and Army Medics. We considered our Navy Corpsman to be Marines. I will never forget "Doc" Ray and the other Navy Corsman who served with my unit.

Thank you all for the responses especially to GeorgiaPapa. Your story about Doc Ray was both sad and inspiring at the same time. Kind of makes you wonder what he could have accomplished if his life hadn't been cut short. Thanks for sharing that story and keeping the memories alive of young men like that.