VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Received C&p Report!

Rate this question

jessie0054

Question

Hello all:

Just received the C&P report of my son's of Oct 3, It was not as bad as i had thought. This Dr. Did SC his low back problems to the injury he received in the Navy in 1991. I am going to give detailed here and maybe somebody can state as to what kind of rating he might look forward to.

SUMMARY OF ALL PROBLEMS, DIAGNOSES AND FUNCTIONAL EFFECTS; He avoids twisting, bending or stooping due to back condition. he does not do heavy lifting. walking does not bother his back. he denies any fall or trauma to back since discharge.

DIAGNOSIS OR ETIOLOGY OF PROBLEM;

[1] POLYCYTHEMIA - in remission per recent labs.

[2] s/p appendix ca- s/p surg/chemotx. no active dz per recent w/u.

[3] he will require f/u with pcp/oncology on the above.

EFFECT ON USUAL OCCUPATION; not Employed.

IF NOT NOW WORKING, DATE LAST EMPLOYED; last worked 7/05

OTHER EFFECTS ON OCCUPATIONAL ACTIVITIES; mechanic work would require him twisting, bending and stooping which should be avoided.

ARE THERE EFFECTS ON THE PROBLEM ON THE FOLLOWING DAILY ACTIVITIES; yes

CHORES; moderate

EXERCISE; moderate

SPORTS; prevents

MEDICAL OPINION;

WAS AN OPINION REQUESTED; yes

MEDICAL OPINION SUMMARY;

RESTATEMENT OF REQUIRED OPINION; question of back condition is related to back condition in military?

MEDICAL OPINION; is most likely caused by or a result of.

OTHER MEDICAL OPINION OR COMMENTS; lumbar spine more likely than not prevents him for mechanic job.

it is also my medical opinion that the back condition requiring surgery is more likely than not the same back condition that he was treated for in 1991/ military.

RATIONALE OF OPINION;

the lumbar spine condition more likely than not prevents him from working his mechanic job in my medical opinion.

It also states in the report that ROM testing on lspine deferred. he is postop and do not a flare up at this time, as he says he was to avoid twisting, bending or stooping.

Any conmments??

Thanks, Jessie

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

You need to find out if the doctor is referring to your sons in-service mechanic position. It almost sounds like he's trying to leave an out stating that it was not a condition he was treated for in the service. If he hasn't worked since leaving the service, don't worry about it. However, if your son worked as a mechanic after getting out, stand by for heavy seas. You'll need to have the doc clarify his statement if he did work as a mech after service. Also by them making a statement about the remission, this will no doubt lower teh percentage for what is listed.

As far as the rating part for the spine, most of it will depend on the range of motion he has after post-op healing and therapy. At least the doc didn't try to discredit the service related treatment!

• HadIt.com Elder

You have to remember that the doctors at the VAMC don't service-connect anything, the RVSR (Ratings Veterans Service reperesentive) does this. The doctor can state anything they want, but the decision to grant or deny service-connection lies soley with the regional office.

According to what you stated in your post, the C&P doctor wrote a favorable report. The spine, more specifically Intravertebral Disc Syndrome, is rated according to either range of motion or incapacitating episodes (bed rest and days of treatment perscribed by a doctor), whichever results in the higher rating.

Vike 17

Vike:

Thanks for bringing me back down to earth!!

I now understand that this DR just gave a favorable report and just gave his opinion as to it being service related injury.

I guess he proably won't even get a rating since the DR deferred the ROM as in his wording he the DR didn't want to bring on a flare up of his pain since he is postop.

Jessie