Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tbi, Migraines...rated Together Or Individually?

Rate this question

bh1981

Question

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out something based on some claims I submitted this past summer. I submitted a claim for TBI, exclusively. I didn't submit anything for migraine headaches which have unfortunately been so incapacitating that I had to leave my previous post with the VA. I just assumed migraines were associated with TBI and put in a claim for that. I was never diagnosed in the military as having TBI as those instances surrounding TBI were nothing more than wake up, shake it off, and move out. I have had migraines since but never really as bas as they are now. Here is my question: considering I did not submit a claim for migraines, is it possible that will be rated individually or in conjunction with TBI? Also, considering I didn't submit a claim for migraines, is it possible that won't be evaluated at all? I'm curious to see if the VA will end up rating that individually even though I didn't submit a claim. I'm sorry if this post didn't make any sense or if I lost anyone. I have a hard type relaying what's in my head to the computer screen...the words just get kind of clogged up somewhere. Thanks for your help.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Maybe I need to clarify...? I did find the following, so maybe this puts into words what I could not. My comprehension of this is that if a migraine presents itself, as a result of TBI, it should be rated separately. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Subjective symptoms may be the only residual of TBI or may be associated with cognitive impairment or other areas of dysfunction. Subjective symptoms that are residuals of TBI, whether or not part of cognitive impairment, are evaluated under the subjective symptoms in the table titled "Evaluation of Cognitive Impairment and Other Residuals of TBI Not Otherwise Classified." Any residual with a distinct diagnosis that may be evaluated under another diagnostic code, such as migraine headache or Meniere's disease, should be separately evaluated, even if that diagnosis is based on subjective symptoms.

If you look at my signature, you will see that my TBI/Migraines is rated together for 30%. I just had an exam to have Nausea/Vertigo secondary to TBI/Migraines. Remember that the VA loves to group conditions, even though they are treated by Docs as separate conditions.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

Thanks Navy04 for your reply and insight. It seems TBI and migraines can either be grouped together, or apart. I guess only time will tell but thank you, again, for sharing with me your thoughts. I do appreciate it.