• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cardiac And Cerebral Arteriosclerosis

Rate this question

Guest jangrin

Question

Guest jangrin

Berta or anyone else with experience with this condition,

I have been trying to research the connection with Cardiac Arteriosclerosis and Cerebral atrophy. It seems that these are connected, as one is called a heart attack and one is called a stroke. But in essence they idiology is the same. Both are silent killers and both seem to be connected to arteriosclerosis.

I know that in the past you stated that your late Husband, Rod, sufered from multiple mini strokes. my questions to you, if you don't mind are as follows:

1. Could you give me an idea of the symptoms (physical and mental) changes that you observed in Rod prior to his death. I have not been able to find preemptive symptoms only end result ie. stroke. Did you notice any behavior changes or mental capacity differences.(if you recall)

2. Do you have any studies that may be helpful to me in this area?

3. Why do you think the VA does not do a brain scan on the Veteran once they are diagnosed with heart artheriosclerosis? If it shows deterioration of the brain blood flow and hardening of the arteries is this a compensable disability for the veteran?Can we request the brain scan or any other opporpriate tests.

4. Do you think that this is compensable as a secondary to DMII?

Thank you for your help and experience in this topic.

Jangrin

Edited by jangrin

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Yes-these are most often related and most likely due to diabetes-in this way-

Atherosclerosis means the arteries have narrowed.Narrwed arteries can cause clots.The lipid hypothesis can cause the clotting (hyperlipidemia-bad cholestrol balance)

If the brain trauma is ischemia and not from hemmorage- this also suggests highly that diabetes is the cause.

1.Rod exhibited blurred vision, dizziness and nausea due to what the VA said (in 1997)were undiagnosed mini strokes in 1988- (transcient ischematic attacks). He also had burning mouth syndrome during these attacks which -I discovered for my new claim-was glucose spillage into his saliva. He also had a silent heart attack the month prior to these attacks at the VA.(undiagnosed until after his death)

The visual disturbances that seemed to go along with these mini strokes (mini-but extensive brain damage resulted) caused him problems on the job at the VA -reading information. Also he could not remember the date or other things to do with the job-He shot the first deer in the county in 1987 (1987 VA employment physical was vision 20/20 without glasses)but found he needed a scope in 1988 right after these attacks- and when I drove out 6 deer from our woods -right past him-he didnt even take a shot at them. His vision seemed to get worse even though VA gave him glasses.

Oddly enough his memory of Vietnam was still intact and it seemed only short term information would vanish-stuff that happened in last few days or weeks -he could not remember.

When he had a major totally disabling stroke in 1992- the VA was able to separate his PTSD from the stroke problems with numerous psychiatric tests.

He had to leave Voc Rehab not only due to his major physical impairments but had lost short term memory retention anyhow- no way one can go to school with that problem.

As two VA doctors stated his PTSD exacerbated his major stroke.A stroke can alter one's personality and dealing with a mental disorder too just makes it all worse.

He died suddenly of a heart attack.

I found that the med recs showed he had heart disease they never diagnosed or treated for 6 years- and the VA concurred that they caused his death by failure to treat the initial heart attack and all of the brain ischemia properly.

2. I have a lot of info and will PM to you some links-

The BEST one is the VA's own training letter however-will send that- as the VA recognises that strokes and ischematic brain trauma and heart disease are most often caused by diabetes unless there is another medically proven etiology.

3.If strokes, whether called "mini" strokes or not, whether they show little brain damage or not can be compensated if they affect the veteran to a ratable degree and can be service connected if caused by a SC disability.

The VA in my husband's case only treated symptoms and not cause.I had to threaten them to give him a CT scan that revealed his major stroke. They thought it was labyrinthitus and gave him no proper medical care for 3 weeks. AFter I threatened them and he got the CT scan- a nurse told me he would die if I didnt get him out of there. His transfer was already being set up.His doctor was a complete idiot. He was so athrophied when he was sent to another VAMC that they said he would never walk again-but he did.We had to demand rehabilitation.

The MRI he got in 1992 revealed 6-7 areas of brain trauma.

In your case I would sure ask for the CT scan or brain MRI to be done if you have any reason to believe that your husband has suffered from any type of stroke due to his diabetes.Heart disease does not always cause brain trauma or athrophy but if you have observed any change in his memory or behavior or vision at all- this is a good reason to ask the VA to give him an MRI.

I dont know if they will or not though.

Memory problems, balance problems, visual problems, any change in personality, there are many symptoms of transcient strokes.

Edited by Berta