Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA effective date different from SSD onset date

Rate this question

ETM81

Question

Hello everyone. I have a PTSD increase/TDIU claim pending. I want to submit my SSD record/file to the VA to help support my claim but I have a question. The effective date of my original PTSD disability benefit is 10/18/10. SS retrieved my records ONLY from the VA yet they have my onset date listed as 12/15/10 (about 2 months later). I'm not sure why this happened. Do you guys think this matters at all and would you recommend that I go ahead and submit it despite the different onset dates? Everything else looks favorable. My primary SSD benefit is listed as Anxiety Related Disorders aka PTSD. Thanks in advance for your help!

70% PTSD

10% tinnitus

10% lumbar spine

10% radiculopathy

41 minutes ago, HorizontalMike said:

BroncoVet has good advise worth heeding. 

FWIW, I am the "fortunate son" (unlike Creedence Clearwater Revival) in that 40months into my claim&appeal, I was granted:

• An increase from 40% to 70% TBI, Tinnitus stayed at 10%.
  • TDIU granted P&T 100%(Dec. 2015), however we have to NOW play the "effective date game".  It is a "game" because the VA immediately shortchanges you on the effective date of your claim "hoping" that throwing a little bit of $$$ your way so you will be happy and go away, for me <$7k and about 8% of what I am owed, or ~$80k.

Thus far, I have NOT applied for SSDI.  Even though I have been unemployed for +10years now, I figured the VA would use SSDI, if denied, against me so "flock them" I did without.  NOW, with TDIU, I will now apply fo SSDI even though I am coming up on my 64th birthday, just 2years shy of full SS.  My SS is minimal due to having a short career in a private pension (school) system.  The way I figure it, I would rather count on the VA rating than the SS.  Just an opinion...

I did go through in ~80k in that decade without employment and NEVER owned a CC.

I'm not relying solely on SSDI benefits to get TDIU. I also have other evidence including my C&P increase/TDIU exam that seemed to go very well. I'm just going to submit what I have and go from there. That's all I really can do. I don't want to get too frustrated. I'll be sure to let everyone know how everything turns out though. Thanks and good luck to you. 

2 hours ago, broncovet said:

SMC is an "inferred" issue, which means you do not have to apply, but get it when you meet the applicable criteria.  Example:

You get rated for 100% for PTSD, 50% for sleep apnea and 30% for hearing loss.  Even tho you did not apply, you meet the criteria for "Statuatory" housebound which means you have 100% plus another 60 percent combined which automatically qualifies you for SMC S.  You need not apply for it, its automatically inferred when you meet the criteria.  

I read up on it last night. Thanks again for being so helpful.