Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Non-VA Medical Care Program claim denial

Rate this question

DavidinNC

Question

Hello,

I was diagnosed in 1994 with Type I Diabetes.  I had served 13 years in the US Navy, and was discharged due to my illness.  I filed for compensation several times, but heard nothing back.  I initially gave up in frustration with such an incompetent organization as the VA.  I filed again, in 2010 and have had to fight to get first 20%, then 40% rating for my diabetes.  I had over a dozen diabetic seizures.  I learned the VA had a record of one of my disability requests from 1996, and I asked for my disability to be recognized and recompensed from that date.  Nothing on that so far other than no....

On September 8, 2015, I was on a business trip and had just landed in Seattle, WA, when I had another diabetic seizure in the baggage claim area.  I was transported to the hospital, treated and released after several hours.

I was told by the VA that any emergency treatment related to my disability would be covered by the VA.  So, when bills started coming in, I tried to find out how to appropriately submit them to be taken care of.  WHAT A JOKE!  I have been trying for months and months to get them into the proper hands.  They care providers are threatening to mar my credit for non payment.  I finally got a letter from the Non-VA Care Program, dated 3/28, stating that based on their review, they were denying the claim because it is a NON-SERVICE CONNECTED CONDITION.  They offered a toll free number for me to call to in case I did not agree with their decision.  I have called that number several times, and ALWAYS waited 50 minutes on hold until I am finally dumped to a voicemail system, told to leave a message and promised I will be called back.  Never happens.  Is there a way to actually get this to work?  I am dumbfounded that this is allowed to go on.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Hi David,

Just a couple questions so that I fully understand your post.

Exactly when were you medically discharged?

What are your current service connected disabilities, I see you are rated 40%?