Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

P&T for veteran buddy

Rate this question

bionoce

Question

My friend is rated 70% for PTSD but feels he can no longer work due to worsening of symptoms. What does he need to do to apply for P&T? He stated that the VA asked him if he wanted to apply for P&T back when they awarded him service connection in 2015. I'm guessing his previously submitted evidence showed he was eligible for a P&T rating at that time. He would need to apply for TDIU right? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you...

Edited by bionoce

2 answers to this question

Yes, the VA does not solicit a claim unless they believe a Vet will qualify. Mind you, it is not a guarantee, but one well worth going for. He should file for IU on VA Form 21-526EZ and submit VA Form 21-8940 with it. 

Note: if he was eligible for IU at the time of the first rating the VA would have granted it at that time. The problem is the VA requires information from former employers before granting that rating, and they can't go after that information without the Vets consent. Hence, the need for the 8940. There are special circumstances that apply for IU without the 8940 but they usually deal with catastrophic illnesses.

Thanks! He wanted to continue working when he was granted service connection, as he owns a business where he didn't have any superiors and could work alone. But now he says he can't deal with people at all and only made $11,000 last year. I will relay this information to him...

Edited by bionoce