Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Near death experience triggers flashback of In Service Near death experience

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

I have no idea where to go with this or what to do with this. I do hope one of the moderators or somebody can help place this in the right place.

Last week on the way to work at 0440hrs,  I was nearly hit head on by a wrong way driver on the interstate. I was trapped between the center dividing wall and an 18-wheeler. Fortunately the truck driver saw the WWD first and hit his engine retarder and brakes. The loud engine retarder noise caught my attention as there were not immediate issues, then I saw the headlights screaming towards me. I saw flashing lights in my rearview..the rig was flashing me over...I jerked over to the right, center lane, and before I cleared the lane markers the WWD screamed by!

Needless to say...not an overly enjoyable experience.

Every time I close my eyes, since then, I see those rapidly growing headlights.

That night I woke from a troubled sleep...I was being choked out...I was being held in a choke hold by another Marine, in one of the rooms at our barracks at MCAS Cherry Point, NC. We were all drinking...had a good buzz on...and this arm came around my neck and another pressed against the back of my head...as I was blacking out, I dissociated, had an Out of Body experience...I was standing off to the side of the room, watching me lose consciousness. I wondered to myself, how long it would take before anyone would notice I was out and actually not breathing...it was at least a minute...no oxygen..my face was turning color...only after another Marine called his name did anyone notice when he turned. They all saw me dangling in this Marine's arms..I watched them panic and toss me on the rack. Everyone took off except for one....not the one who choked me out.  The toss to the bed was enough to trigger my breathing again.  Took another few minutes to regain my senses.

Because we  were all drinking, no report was made, no call to MPs, no nothing. Not a single one of those Marines ever asked me what happened or if I was okay with it.  Did find out about a month later, from a female Marine, that maybe it was because they had been in a relationship that had ended badly, about 6 months before the choke out happened.

Okay, that's it. All comments are welcome. Thanks if you read this. Okay if you don't.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question