VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Know Anything About Pat (paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia)

Rate this topic

I am hoping that someone can help me find out whether anyone has experienced the heart condition PAT (Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia). I was medically discharged from the Navy back in 1966 with PAT and have since had a heart attack associated with PAT. I am trying to get SC from the VA and my claim is presently in Ratings.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks, Brian

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

That is what I have too, but although VA diagnosed it, they can't agree on whether it is a heart problem, which is NOT SC, or a Neurological problem, which might be SC. So the local VA regrads mine as a heart problem, not SC. Don't be surprised if your VARO decides it is neurological, if you are claiming for a heart attack. See the following extract from The Medical Dictionary.

Tachycardia, paroxysmal atrial (PAT)

Tachycardia, paroxysmal atrial (PAT): Bouts of rapid, regular heart beating originating in the atrium (upper chamber of the heart). Often due to abnormalities in the AV node "relay station" that lead to rapid firing of electrical impulses from the atrium which bypass the AV node under certain conditions. These conditions include alcohol excess, stress, caffeine, overactive thyroid or excessive thyroid hormone intake, and certain drugs. PAT is an example of an arrhythmia where the abnormality is in the electrical system of the heart, while the heart muscle and valves may be normal.

That is what I have too, but although VA diagnosed it, they can't agree on whether it is a heart problem, which is NOT SC, or a Neurological problem, which might be SC. So the local VA regrads mine as a heart problem, not SC. Don't be surprised if your VARO decides it is neurological, if you are claiming for a heart attack. See the following extract from The Medical Dictionary.

Tachycardia, paroxysmal atrial (PAT): Bouts of rapid, regular heart beating originating in the atrium (upper chamber of the heart). Often due to abnormalities in the AV node "relay station" that lead to rapid firing of electrical impulses from the atrium which bypass the AV node under certain conditions. These conditions include alcohol excess, stress, caffeine, overactive thyroid or excessive thyroid hormone intake, and certain drugs. PAT is an example of an arrhythmia where the abnormality is in the electrical system of the heart, while the heart muscle and valves may be normal.

Hi WallyG

This is Patrick, i was also diagnosed with Atrial Techycardia on a C&P exam in 1997, i was also told that there was other things going on with my heart besides Techycardia, like valve problems, CAD, but was not S/C, this is one of my claims i had with the BVA in Oct,06. Varo ,Manila state it was discorvered that i had a heart 14 months after i retired, so they would not cervice connect.

Still waiting on news fro my BVA hearing.

Patrick

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi PAT, Give me a call, I've still got the same cell phone number. Wasn't sure you were still alive and kicking. Too busy to keep track, now that MAC is gone.

Wallyg

Thanks for responding. I just learned this morning that I am already SC with 10% and have been for several years. Nobody told me and I have not been receiving my 10% since 1966 (You answered my post today in Claims) But apparently I have never received any money in over 40 years. I am trying to find out if any of this is retroactive back to when I got out of the Navy. I am also wondering how I can start getting my 10%. Should I just call them and tell them I want to start receiving my money?

Did you have your PAT when you were in the service and were you discharged because of it? Did you ever get SC for it or are you still fighting them? I received a Medical discharge because of my heart problems. I have been in 7 hospitals since I got out of the Navy and had a heart attack last January that knocked me on my ass. I am having depression and anxiety attacks for the last year. I just received my Award letter from SSDI and received my retro check in the mail today (almost 10 grand) so that makes me and my wife very happy.

I appreciate your help. Thanks

Brian