Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

merkel cell claims

Rate this question

Marilyn Haney

Question

My brother who was a viet nam medic  who has been diagnosed  with advance merkel cell carcinoma.  thus far it is in his lung, groin and pelvis....He was continually in the field as a medic so he was exposed daily to Agent Orange.  He has applied for disability due to this.  He had to quit his job.  I have heard this is not on the list for agent orange.  I have seen where several Viet Nam vets have been diagnosed  with this type cancer.  My brother is not a smoker.  His oncologist says this type cancer could have been caused by agent  orange.  Has anyone been approved due to agent orange for merkel cell carcinoma

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Have his oncologist write an IMO (Independent Medical Opinion)/ IME (Independent Medical Exam) stating that your brother's Merkel cell carcinoma is "at least as likely as not" caused by your brothers exposure to agent orange.  Find as many articles as you can that link Merkel cell carcinoma to dioxin contaminants and have your brothers oncologist cite them as proof.  

It can be done, read this BVA decision:  https://www.va.gov/vetapp04/files/0406967.txt

10 hours ago, toddt said:

Have his oncologist write an IMO (Independent Medical Opinion)/ IME (Independent Medical Exam) stating that your brother's Merkel cell carcinoma is "at least as likely as not" caused by your brothers exposure to agent orange.  Find as many articles as you can that link Merkel cell carcinoma to dioxin contaminants and have your brothers oncologist cite them as proof.  

It can be done, read this BVA decision:  https://www.va.gov/vetapp04/files/0406967.txt

Thank you so much for this information.