Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question For Vike 17 Or Anyone

Rate this question

chief 313

Question

vike 17 or anyone, found out today my claim for 70%mdd and ptsd is at rating board. won ss award for service connected mdd disability. also primary care physican says i am unemployable .private psychiatrist md says same . have been going to counseling at va. think have all my ducks in a row. any ideas on how long and if any more informatiom is needed? anyone can chime in . best regards chief 313.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

vike 17 or anyone, found out today my claim for 70%mdd and ptsd is at rating board. won ss award for service connected mdd disability. also primary care physican says i am unemployable .private psychiatrist md says same . have been going to counseling at va. think have all my ducks in a row. any ideas on how long and if any more informatiom is needed? anyone can chime in . best regards chief 313.

Even if your MDD is unipolar, the 2 medical opinions should carry the day for you. Dunno how long it'll take but did you put your claim for TDIU in with the claim??? If not, and you receive 70%, send your TDIU form and claim in right away! At 70% VA should automatically consider you for TDIU but you have no guarantee that they will.

Ralph

Even if your MDD is unipolar, the 2 medical opinions should carry the day for you. Dunno how long it'll take but did you put your claim for TDIU in with the claim??? If not, and you receive 70%, send your TDIU form and claim in right away! At 70% VA should automatically consider you for TDIU but you have no guarantee that they will.

Ralph

ralph, send in 70% claim oct 30th 2006 amd iu claim nov 20th 2006. also ss award letter. thanks for reply. best regards crief 313.

• HadIt.com Elder

Chief,

You asked "any ideas on how long and if any more informatiom is needed," and this is always the age old question. No one can say for sure how long it will take. There are so many factors involved, such as current pending workload at your RO, do you need a C&P exam, will the RVSR send your claim back to Pre-Determination for further development on missing records ect...

One thing to keep in mind is that the only way the VA will "infer" a claim of IU is if you meet the schedular requirements according to sub paragraoh (a) and there is evidence in your C-file of you being unable to obtain and maintain a substantial gainful occupation.

There seems to be quite a bit of confusion here regarding IU. Many veterans seem to think that just because they have reached the schedular requirements of IU, this is some magic bullet and the VA will either automatically grant IU or consider them for it. This is not true. One has to show they are unable to obtain and maintain a substantial gainful occupation due to their sevice-connected disabilities. Furthermore, just because a veteran is unemployed, does not mean they have unemployability. They have to be able to show they can not obtain and maintain any other types of work besides the job they just left due to their service-connected disabiliy.

Vike 17

Edited by Vike17