Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea linked to PTSD or Fibromyalgia

Rate this question

Waterboy

Question

1.)  Which is better for Sleep Apnea to be linked with when filing a claim / appeal, PTSD or Fibromyalgia?  Sleep Apnea as secondary to my 30% PTSD (Chronic Sleep Impairment is one of the symptoms) service connected or my 40% Fibromyalgia service connected? I was diagnosed with Severe Obstructed Sleep Apnea in 2009, sleep studies and use of CPAP.  Stopped CPAP due to issues.  Fast forward to present day, had a current sleep test, same severe OSA and am on and will continue to use a CPAP. All done through the VA.  I've done tons of research.  There are good, solid studies for both linking Sleep Apnea to them.   Can you claim simultaneously that both conditions aggravate it and vice versa? Get a Nexus Letter from both doctors in each field and DBQ's from both as well or have one doctor write they both have a correlation... Then submit it all together showing that...  Just curious on all of your thoughts before I go ahead and file.  I am currently working on getting IMO's / Nexus Letters, shortly...

I know these phrases are key as well:

"is due to" (100% sure)
"more likely than not" (greater than 50%)
"at least as likely as not" (equal to or greater than 50%)

Based on my evaluation of the veteran, it is my opinion that it is at least as likely as not that SoandSo's diagnosed OSA is aggravated by his service connected PTSD or Fibromyalgia. I also feel that it is at least as likely as not that SoandSo's PTSD or Fibromyalgia is aggravated by his OSA."

2.)  Also, as a back up, has anyone ever used Valor4Vets to get a Nexus Letter or DBQ? If so, were they worth it / reputable?  I'm currently arranging for my own doctors but if they get all weird on me...

Thanks

Waterboy

1989-1992 101st Airborne/ Air Assault

Infantry

Persian Gulf War

Edited by Waterboy
more info

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Let the "evidence" decide, they wont award per your opinion anyway.  

For secondary service connection "to either" PTSD or Fibro, you need a doctors report that says your OSA is "at least as likely as not" due to (PTSD or FIBRO), assuming you are SC for both.  

You also dont need to "choose" when you apply.  Instead, "apply" for OSA secondary to any of your sc conditions or primary.  You dont need to be a doctor...let the docs be docs and the raters be raters, and you, well do what you do and dont try to be a doctor or a rater.  

Personally, my sleep doc said that depression, ptsd and OSA all have similar symptoms and are intertwined.  But, its about what YOUR doctors say about you, not what my doc says about me or someone else.  

Just apply, like this:

"I want to apply for OSA both primary and secondary to my sc condition(s).  

Then ask your doctors if they think your (PTSD OR FIBRO) is at least as likely as not releated to your osa.  It soes not matter what we think or even what you think.  Its what the doc and the evidence supports.  

20 hours ago, broncovet said:

Let the "evidence" decide, they wont award per your opinion anyway.  

For secondary service connection "to either" PTSD or Fibro, you need a doctors report that says your OSA is "at least as likely as not" due to (PTSD or FIBRO), assuming you are SC for both.  

You also dont need to "choose" when you apply.  Instead, "apply" for OSA secondary to any of your sc conditions or primary.  You dont need to be a doctor...let the docs be docs and the raters be raters, and you, well do what you do and dont try to be a doctor or a rater.  

Personally, my sleep doc said that depression, ptsd and OSA all have similar symptoms and are intertwined.  But, its about what YOUR doctors say about you, not what my doc says about me or someone else.  

Just apply, like this:

"I want to apply for OSA both primary and secondary to my sc condition(s).  

Then ask your doctors if they think your (PTSD OR FIBRO) is at least as likely as not releated to your osa.  It soes not matter what we think or even what you think.  Its what the doc and the evidence supports.  

Thank You broncovet!