VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lumbar Ddd, Need Help.

Rate this question

Yong

Question

Hi,

I am new on the board.

I need help on understanding my MRI result and what to expect from VA Claim.

I'd just retired from the Army and I was diagnosed with DDD just before I got out.

MRI dated 26 Oct 2006 states that I have following problems in my lumbar spine;

Diffuse degenerative disc desciccation without significant loss of disc height from L2-L3 through L5-S1.

L2-L3 diffuse annular bulge with a small posterior annular tear mildly indenting the ventral thecal sac and causing mild spinal canal narrowing. The neural foramina are patent.

L3-L4 posterior annular buldge with small central to right paracentral disc protrusion causing mild to moderate spinal narrowing. There is disc contact with the right L4 nerve root in the lateral recess, which is asymmetrically larger relative to the left.

L4-L5 posterior disc protrusion-endplate osteophyte complex, bilateral facet and ligamenta flava degenerative change, which result in mild to moderate spinal canal and moderate right lateral recess/ subarticular zone narrowing. There is disc osteophte contact with the bilateral L5 nerve roots, worse in the right.

L5-S1 bilateral facet hypertrophy and posterior disc and endplate osteophte complex, but no significant spinal or neural foraminal narrowing, nor nerve root displacement.

My Dr. in service told me that one out of 4 people at age 40 develope this problem. He also stated that unless I have hard time walking, I should control the symtems with pain medication (Roxicet, Mobic, Flexeril, and Prednesone).

Need Help!!!!

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

OK, you are within a year of discharge so I would seriously consider filing a claim soon, but I would have the EMG done first if possible. Id file for lumbar, and IVDS as well if the symptoms point it out.

Sixthscents,

Thanks for your advise and explanation on my condition.

I become a Vet on 1 Feb 2007. I will pursue your recommandation.

Can you give me your opinion to what VA might rate for this as is?

• HadIt.com Elder

Sixthsense,

Actually, the lumbar spine doesn't have a extra schedular rating so to speak. I think what you mean is any additional neurological condition that arise from the IVDS ect... can be rated seperately or secondary to the back condition in question, such as foot drop, erectile dysfunction, bladder problems and so forth. If a veteran has let's say buldging lumbar discs (doesn't matter how many), spinal stenosis, scoliosis, and DDD, the veteran will only receive one rating for all four, not for each one! Also the thoracic spine is taken into consideration with the lumbar spine not seperately, because the thoracic spine does not have seperate movements than the lumbar spine(except for "rotation"). The cervical spine, as you mentioned, would receive a seperate rating becuase it does move seperarely from the thoracic-lumbar spine.

Vike 17

Edited by Vike17