VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mri Vs Ct Result

Rate this question

Yong

Question

MRI vs CT result.

Had asked help for Lumbar DDD on my prior post. I did received good advise from many on this board. Thank you.

However, more I look through my SMR, more questions comes through my head.

Question:

1. Why different wording used?

2. Did my condition got worst?

3. I had recently filed for the va claim and completed C&P exam. No result was given (No ROM). What is the minimum rating should I expect from this. I am being treated with Roxicet, Flexeril, Prednison, Motrin, and Mobic or past 12 months for pain. NO bed rest.

CT result: 19 DEC 05

L1-2: There is mild bilateral facet sclerosis. No evidence of disc herniation, central stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.

L2-3: There is bulging disc causing mild central canal stenosis and minimal neural foraminal narrowing bilaterally. Bilateral facet sclerosis is also present.

L3-4: Buldging disc which indents the anterior thecal sac without causing central stenosis. There is hypertrophy of the ligamentum flavum. Mild left neural foraminal narrowing is also evident.

L4-5: There is a small broad-based bulge and disc space narrowing, causing mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing. Bilateral facet sclerosis is also evident.

L5-S1: Conjoined L5-S1 left nerve root. A small broad-based bulge appears to contact the left S1 nerve root without displacing it. No evidence of neural foraminal narrowing or central stenosis.

MRI result: 1 Nov 2006

Diffuse degenerative disc desciccation without significant loss of disc height from L2-L3 through L5-S1.

L2-L3 diffuse annular bulge with a small posterior annular tear mildly indenting the ventral thecal sac and causing mild spinal canal narrowing. The neural foramina are patent.

L3-L4 posterior annular buldge with small central to right paracentral disc protrusion causing mild to moderate spinal narrowing. There is disc contact with the right L4 nerve root in the lateral recess, which is asymmetrically larger relative to the left.

L4-L5 posterior disc protrusion-endplate osteophyte complex, bilateral facet and ligamenta flava degenerative change, which result in mild to moderate spinal canal and moderate right lateral recess/ subarticular zone narrowing. There is disc osteophte contact with the bilateral L5 nerve roots, worse in the right.

L5-S1 bilateral facet hypertrophy and posterior disc and endplate osteophte complex, but no significant spinal or neural foraminal narrowing, nor nerve root displacement.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Young,

A CT scan or MRI has little impact on what rating percentage will be assigned. As I statedin my prior post, your rating percentage is derived from the Range of motion measurements and/or documented incapacitating episodes from a doctor. The only thing the CT scan and MRI will do is show continuity of treatment and identify the site of the diseased disk.

Generally, a MRI is the "gold standard" when it comes to imagery for the spine. The MRI is able to show more detail than other types of imagery.

Vike 17

• In Memoriam

Yong,

A good radiologist can tell whether the lumbar and sacral damage and resulting stenosis is related to injury/old age or both. When a lumbar is damaged or smashed, the injured area can grow much faster than normal bone growth (Stenosis). Pain is the resultant of this lumbar disk narrowing. When one side gets narrow it pinches the nerve going through. This nerve damage can lead to secondary conditions without regard to range of motion.

I would suggest that you get and Independent Medical Evaluation from a private radiologist. You can go to the VA X-ray department; get your X-rays and take them to a radiologist. If you have any other problems, down below, like numb feet, tingling legs, or ED (Erectile Dysfunction) tell the radiologist about it. Don't be shy. Sometimes the range of motion can effect more than one area.

I have L4-L5 and L5-S1 damage. I also have the VA X-rays, CT, and MRI reports. It is my opinion that the CT radiologist report was better.

• In Memoriam

Yong,

I got rid of the Motrin, because it made me sick to my stomach after taking if for so long. The VA doctor has given me Diclofenac instead of Motrin, and the Diclofenac seems to almost work as good without the stomach cramps.

If you go to your own doctor you can ask the questions that you are asking. You might try to write down your symtoms.

Stretch,

Motrin does not help with back pain anymore. I mostly take roxicet for pain.

Many good advise from this board. I am now trying to find a way to build my claim so that on next claim I would have all the bullet it takes to get optimum result.

Thanks again.

Yong