Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is My Dad Eligible...?

Rate this question

Guest ekuhlman

Question

Guest ekuhlman

This is probably the wrong place to ask this question, but I am really having difficulty finding the "right place". I've scoured the VA web pages and just get more confused each page I pull up.

Maybe someone here can help...

My Dad is 89 years old, lives by himself in the home he bought in the early 1950's, and is reasonably still self sufficient. He is a WWII vet and served in Europe during the war as an infantryman.

He has no income except for Social Security, which is very little. He has very little money in a savings account and has no other investments or income of any kind.

He has never applied for any VA benefits execpt for when he first got out of the Army and the GI bill helped him with getting some education for his profession.

He is currently taking a prescription to control Prostrate Cancer. The Doctor prescribing it is a family general practicioner (not a V.A. Doctor). It is 150 mg of Nilandron every day. The drug is very expensive and for a few years he qualified to having it subsidized by an idependent health care company. This company was bought out by another, and the program has stopped. We have been unable to find another that will help us with this medicine.

Does my DAD qualify for any V.A. prescription benefits that would cover at least part of the cost of this drug??

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Ed

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• In Memoriam

Ed --

In addition to finding out about health care eligibility, it would be helpful to find out if he also qualifies for a nonservice connected VA pension, He should check into the VA's website or contact the VA for the necessary forms.

Alex

Take him and a copy of his dd214 to the nearest VA and give it a try. He should be ok for benefits. Concerning the drug he takes for prostate cancer, I am nuo sure the drug is listed on the formulary.

If you can get your Dad in the VA system and he gets a good doctor, the doctor can get the meds that he needs if that is the only med that will work for his disability. The doctor can usually get the meds that will work when no other medicine will work or if that is the only medicine for that particular condition.

Railroader