VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Abstract - Prevalence And Characteristics Of Chronic Pain In Veterans With Spinal Cord Injury

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Volume 42 Number 5, September/October 2005

Pages 573 — 584

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abstract - Prevalence and characteristics of chronic pain in veterans with spinal cord injury

Diana H. Rintala, PhD;* Sally Ann Holmes, MD; Richard Neil Fiess; Daisy Courtade, MA; Paul G. Loubser, MD

Michael E. DeBakey Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, TX; Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX

Abstract — To assess prevalence and characteristics of individual chronic (>6 mo) pain components in the veteran spinal cord injury (SCI) population, we conducted a telephone survey with 348 (66%) of 530 veterans with SCI who received care from one regional Department of Veterans Affairs SCI center during a 3 yr period. The short-form McGill Pain Questionnaire was used to assess qualitative properties of the pain experience. Other questions were used to assess frequency, duration, intensity, exacerbating factors, and effects on daily activities. Of the participants, 75% reported at least one chronic pain component. The majority (83%) of the chronic pain components occurred daily (mean = 27.4 d/mo) and lasted most of the day (mean = 17.4 h/d). Mean pain intensity in the week before the interview averaged 6.7 (on a 0 to 10 scale), while worst pain intensity averaged 8.6. Two-thirds (67%) of the chronic pain components interfered with daily activities. The most commonly selected pain descriptors were "aching," "sharp," "hot-burning," and "tiring-exhausting." More research is needed to identify better ways to prevent, assess, and treat chronic pain in the veteran SCI population.

Key words: adult, chronic, female, intractable pain, male, prevalence, spinal cord injury, survey, telephone, veterans.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.rehab.research.va.gov/jour/05/4...absrintala.html

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so condisering I have several herniated disc in my cervical spine and take enough narcs to kill a average man how does this help my claim?

• HadIt.com Elder

so condisering I have several herniated disc in my cervical spine and take enough narcs to kill a average man how does this help my claim?

Hello Betrayed, this was intended as a health issue. Not sure how it can apply to your claim. Ongoing studies of patients with spinal cord pain is what I get out of it.

Did I post this in claims too?

Allan

• 3 weeks later...

For validation of chronic cervical spine problems/pain you will need help from the private sector because 'pain' is not something that they, the VA, can measure with a blood test.

An MRI is the best way to establish the chronic nature of the pain.

Mine would scare ya.

sledge