Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Inquiry Regarding Expectations for Reapplying to VR&E for Vocational Training (Esthetician

Rate this question

SEC

Question

I have a question regarding the process of reapplying for VR&E (Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) assistance, specifically related to attending vocational training, specifically an esthetician course. I would greatly appreciate any insights or experiences you could share.

My query is: What should I expect when requesting to reapply for VR&E assistance to pursue vocational training, particularly in an esthetician course? Does VR&E generally cover the costs associated with such training programs?

I understand that the policies and guidelines of VR&E can vary, and each case is evaluated individually. However, I am interested in hearing about your experiences or any knowledge you may have regarding VR&E's support for vocational training in esthetics.

Any information or advice you can provide would be highly valuable to me. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

4 answers to this question

Welcome to hadit.  

Its actually "great" you have a chosen field.  Its harder to get people to complete voc rehab if they have "no idea" what career path they want to do.  Those "with a plan" tend to do better than those without a plan.  And, it sounds like YOU have a plan.  I have heard of multiple people "who were successful" and knew their career choice, sometimes when they were as early as kindergarten.  I have a family member who "always wanted to be an MD", and, sure enough, she is a MD currently serving in the US Air Force.  

I had to look up "Esthetician" to know what it means.  So, I cant advise a career path in this, but I can explain my voc rehab experience.  

Also, I must ask you used the term "REapply" above, and not "apply", which suggests you applied before earlier.  Were you denied in the past, and did you appeal it?  

I applied for and got Voc Rehab Training in another quite different field.  Generally, I was pleased with the program.  Voc Rehab, for me, pretty much paid the (tuition costs, books were provided "as a package", when you enroll in the school so it also included the specialized books).  This was so long ago, I forgot the year.  Wait!  I was in school during 911, thats how long ago it was.  Voc rehab ALSO has a program still active, I think, which provides an income to the student while in school.  It was called the GI bill back in my day, but then "Montgomery GI" bill, and that, I think, has been changed also.  You may be able to combine voc rehab, with some sort of GI type bill income, while in school.  Voc rehab may provide tuition and books, and your "GI type" bill may provide you with an in school income. 

More, and better information about this is found here:  https://www.va.gov/opa/publications/benefits_book/benefits_chap13.asp

and here:  https://www.va.gov/education/

If I recall, I did not have a disability rating at that time, but did get one later.  

No doubt "Esthetician" requires some very specialized "tools of the trade" and its quite possible or even likely, if approved, those will be provided.  

Im assuming you have a school in mind.  Did you discuss this with them?  VA "approves" certain schools

for Voc Rehab, and I have no idea whether or not your proposed school would fly or not.  I would, in 

fact, start with your school, and ask them if they have had previous students in the VA Voc Rehab program. 

If they do not, then ask them why not?  Its possible that school has not been approved.

If this is the case, (that is, the school has been rejected by Voc Rehab), I would ask to speak 

to a director at the school, and ask them why?  Its quite possible the reason "why" is that

this particular school never applied (to VA) to be a VA approved Vets training school. Again, you 

could simply agree to enroll in the schools training "upon approval by the VA".  If the VA declines to approve the 

school, that can be a red flag.  It would suggest the VA does not, for whatever reason, deem the school

worthy of approval.  For example, there are "for profit" schools that would not meet said criteria.  

The school would likely need to be able to help "place" its student graduates.  Of course the school

would not necessarily "guarantee" a job in this field, but, at a minimum, there should be graduate students

working in the local spas.  

My opinion would be that if the VA did not or would not approve the school, you probably would

not want to attend either.  Again, if the only reason Va did not approve the school was because the

school never applied BUT was willing to apply for you, then you could make it contingent upon VA approval 

If the school is out of, for example, like a local 2 year junior college, with 

other Veteran students in other career paths, then approval would be likely. 

However, some schools are frankly on VA's black list.  It probably means

they took a bunch of money from people and failed to graduate a significant 

portion of their students and get them a job in that field in the workplace.  

I have given some general characteristics that applied to my voc rehab school, 

but they probably apply to your chosen career training as well.  

Sometimes, however, it may mean relocating to an approved voc rehab school in another city or state.  It really sounds like you may have already contacted the school, so, if you already had good advice from the school, "go for it", if that is your chosen field.  

I have a grandson, just 17, who made a choice to be a programmer (computer), and actually has 2 years experience because he got a part time job, while in high school, with a local firm which programs computers.  That guy is a "man with a plan" and he is going places..good places.  

He is ALSO attending college "while in high school" so he will likely have an associates degree when he gets his high school diploma.  Incredible.  I predict, with his several years of internship experience, he could well get a job out of high school earning $70k or even as much as $100k as experienced programmers are "in high demand".  Most companies either already have an "app" (for phones), or are working on one, or have plans to get one.  This takes an experienced programmer.  My oldest son is an "android developer" (aka programmer), and he probably passed the 100k salary around 10 years ago.  

Edited by broncovet

Thank you for sharing your vocational rehabilitation (VR) experience and providing valuable insights. I appreciate your perspective on the importance of having a clear career plan, as it can contribute to a more successful VR journey.

Regarding my previous use of "reapply," you are correct in assuming 
I had completed a college program funded by VR. However, the industry associated with that program is no longer viable. I am now seeking to reapply for VR assistance to pursue an esthetician course as my chosen career path.

Regarding the school, I will research and identify a specific institution for esthetician training. I appreciate your suggestion to contact the school to inquire about previous VA Voc Rehab students and their experiences. I will discuss this matter with them and ensure the school is VA-approved.

Your input on the importance of VA approval and the school's track record in placing graduates in the field is valuable. If the VA has not approved the school or if there are concerns about graduate employment prospects, it would be wise to reconsider attending that institution. I will consider your advice during my decision-making process.

It's inspiring to hear about your grandson's success in programming and how his dedication and early experience are paving the way for a promising career. Such stories reinforce the importance of choosing a career path wisely and pursuing relevant education and experience.
Once again, I appreciate your time and the insights you've shared. Your personal experience and advice have been invaluable. 

Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed information.

• Community Owner

I remember a few years ago when the Department of ED started popping what was called diploma mills that would promise you a diploma/degree that was spouse to lead you to a gob in your field. There is no telling how many billions of dollars went down the tubes. It has always been my (MHO) that ANY type of education should lead to employment in the field of your choice. (My last job was for a HBCU as an IT person) Having said that educational institutes keep putting out worthless degrees that lead nowhere need to give some kind of guarantee that the degree will be valuable in the marketplace.  There needs to be a mechanism for you to change and meet the needs of the marketplace. Some of my family has one of those degrees from a very well know University that in MO isn't worth the paper it's printed on. There is too much tunnel vision in education. VA VR is a good program 

You case is different in that your degree went away. (And in the real world it does happen.) Both "Higher Education" and VR Programs around the states and VA VR programs' "should"  allow to changes your case based on the employment market place. 

Not may veterans know this but VA VR is not only provides for education they can and will provide you with quality of life plains. There is a member hear that used it to have them by to buy a computer, desk and chairs so they could run a web site to keep them occupied because of there homebound status.

They can also provide thing like a stair guilder if you have mobility problems. (Again quality of life) You will have to do a "Plan" just like the educational ones. You may have to fight with them to get this going. And it may take forever to get it accomplished. I know some one who has been fighting them over 20 years to get them to keep the plan going. 

A word to the warning read the fine print. Make sure the VR doesn't terminate your benefits at the end of it. Scoils security is BAD about this with there "Ticket to Work" Program.  I think most Vet's wood like to do something to occupy their time. We throw the baby out with the bath waters while looking for a few bad actors sometimes. (MHO)

In 1987 I was rated 50% for Vietnam combat PTSD and the Waco VARO VR or VOCAB office approved my application to complete my two years of college education and finish my accounting degree at a Central Texas University next to Fort Hood, Texas.  They did not pay gas milage for my 25 mile daily commute to the school.  Sigh.

The VOCAB folks paid for all expenses such as school fees, tuition, books, etc. and also paid me an extra monthly stipend of over 300.00 dollars.  I graduated with a degree in 89.

They did a counselor psychiatric interview with me as part of their prior approval assessment procedures to included review of my disabilities and work, education, training history, etc. The VOCAB counselor did not think I would finish the degree program and it would be a waste of taxpayer money.  I sent him copies of my degree with a snarky comment.

Also in 1977 the VA Educational Assist program (GI Bill)  paid over $10,000.00 to the Jet Fleet Corporation of Dallas, Texas for me to train and received additional FAA advanced helicopter pilot flight lessons for the IFR Instrument Helicopter Flight Instructor and ground instructor ratings plus twin engine IFR certification and Airline Dispatcher License.  I already held the Commercial helicopter pilot license and I had to pay a few thousands dollars out of pocket for all this extra training and licenses.

Sometimes life is good. Yup

combinededitedcroppedperkins507thDustoffmedevacUH-1Hrescuehoist.jpg.7c3053794369e014e2ea83de19f3fbaf.jpg

Edited by Dustoff1970