Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question For You Medical Types

Rate this question

ronn

Question

Correct me where i am wrong in my logic before i lay it on my PCP. 1. Radiation for throat cancer destroys the thyroid gland. 2. The thyroid gland produces hormons that control the bodies matabolism. 3. This effects the bodies ability to control cholesterol levels and blood pressure. 4. high cholestrol and blood pressure can lead to heart attack or stroke. 5. Therefore hypothyroidism can cause a stroke...:: Am i missing something here or is this a likely senerio ?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

i think this is a duplicate should be disregarded.

-Spike-

Vet Advocate

--------------

• HadIt.com Elder

The info below was copied from

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...05/ai_n15901080

It sounds to me like severe or moderate hypothyroidism is in fact associated with a higher risk of stroke. I am going by the reference in the second paragraph. I did a search of google for hypothyroidism then a search within a search for "stroke risk" including the quotes and found lots of info.

HYPOTHYROIDISM

Seniors with mild hypothyroidism may not be at higher risk for congestive heart failure.

The question: Hypothyroidism occurs when the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Left untreated, the condition can raise cholesterol and triglyceride levels, thereby increasing the risk for coronary artery disease and stroke. However, some studies have found that mild hypothyroidism may also be problematic. Could mild hypothyroidism increase the risk for coronary artery disease and stroke, too?

The findings: The study evaluated more than 2,700 seniors ages 70 to 79 for mild hypothyroidism, defined as a thyrotrophin level of 4.5 or greater; moderate hypothyroidism, defined as thyrotrophin level 7.0-9.9; and severe hypothyroidism, defined as thyrotrophin levels above 10. Thyrotrophin, formerly known as thyroid- stimulating hormone, regulates the release of thyroid hormone. Patients whose thyroid hormone levels are too low secrete more thyrotrophin. During the four-year study period, the risk for coronary heart failure increased among patients with moderate and severe hypothyroidism, but not among participants with mild hypothyroidism.

Who's affected: According to the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, as many as 10% of women and 3% of men have mild hypothyroidism.

Edited by Hoppy

Hoppy

100% for Angioedema with secondary conditions.

Ronn _ I follow that scenrario you stated and I see the point-

this is the bases of all claims that become secondary to the initial SC claim-

what dcumented physiological medical pattern occurs that makes the first SC cause the second or third or fourth scable disabilities-

I get what you mean-and agree this is a possible scenario-

If you are willing to get an IMO doctor and lay that all out to him/her- and support this with some medical abstracts like Hoppy posted- and I suggest to search BVA cases too--- ,

then a doctor could assess your specific medical situation and step by step associate it to your original SC disability.

It does not hurt to state it clearly for an IMO doctor-

it helps-

this does not mean we can predict what the opinion will be- but the doctor has to state that the secondary condiions are due to the initial SC by accessing and reviewing all of your medical records-and giving a complete medical rationale.

This wont happen at a 15 minute C & P exam-I dont think a VA doctor would even take the time to consider what you said-

can you possibly get an independent medical opinion?

A claim for SC is often a building block to other claims-this is a good example Ronn put here.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

PS - it is good scenario if you in fact have hypothyroidism that causes you additional disability-

What I mean is -the VA will not rate on a probability-

If you have had a stroke or transcient ischemia attacks-

this scenario would lend to service connected of those disabilies (residulas) that the hypothyroidism causes-

OR if the scenario involves cause of hypercholestrol-any disabilities that the hypercholestrol can cause such as atherosclerosis could also be secondary SC connected.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta,

We are thinking on the same lines again. I had planned on waking up this morning and adding, not to be suprised if the PCP cops out or comes up with something weird. Also I was going to mention that the VA would require a chronic disability with symptoms that align with the rating schedule and not a potential for a disability.

Hoppy

100% for Angioedema with secondary conditions.

I know hyperthyroidism causes insomnia/depression and vice versa. Hypothyroidism does cause a decrease in metabolism which in turn can cause obesity which leads to heart disease, htn, arthitis certain body parts due to carrying excess weight etc. However, if medicated properly, this lack of metabolism can be contained. Reserarch hypothyroidism on webmd.com and youy'll find valuable information from a elgitimate source.