Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Evidence Gathering

Rate this question

Max Rommel

Question

To support my disability claims, I have submitted medical reports (e.g., biopsies, xrays, etc.) to the VA using their online systems. I've often wondered though, does the VA ever go directly to your doctor for information, rather that get it from the vet? Just curious.

Thanks! Max

🇺🇸

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

2 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, Max Rommel said:

I've often wondered though, does the VA ever go directly to your doctor for information, rather that get it from the vet?

Yes, typically the VA will have you the veteran to fill out VA Form 21-4142 or VA Form 21-4142a. If I am wrong on the forms someone will chime in and correct me. Unfortunately, the VA looks at veterans as liars and we can't tell the truth and not be trusted. You will need medical documentation to support your claim. 

VA Form 21-4142

VA Form 21-4142a

Edited by pacmanx1

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

Yes the VA raters will send you the Release of Information consent form for you to list the private doctor/s treating and diagnosing you and you sign and return the form so VA can contact and request the private medical records from them/him or her.

They did this when I filed a claim for Nam Agent Orange Heart disease and even tho I sent all of his medical records (copies) with my claim to VARO.  The heart surgeon sent them the same info that I included with my claim.

I also signed another Release of Info consent form and gave it personally to my heart doctor in order to save time.  Everything worked out smoothly. 

If the private physician does not respond to the request then the raters will after a reasonable time period proceed with adjudicating your claim relying on whatever evidence you submitted.

My comment is not legal advice as I am not a lawyer, paralegal or VSO

combinededitedcroppedperkins507thDustoffmedevacUH-1Hrescuehoist.jpg.66e9e75bebf35a15ff490302ec523268.jpg