Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DENIAL FOR TINNITUS

Rate this question

LOUOLDIES

Question

I WAS DENIED FOR TINNITUS 3 YRS AGO BUT WAS APPROVED FOR HEARING AIDS.  THE REASON IS THAT LENGTH OF TIME FROM BEING DISCHARGED HAS BEEN TOO LONG TO HAVE TINNITUS AT MY AGE OF 74.  i WAS STATIONED IN A 5 INCH GUN MOUNT FOR GENERAL QUARTERS AND IT WAS EXTREMELY LOUD WITHOUT HEARING PROTECTION.  i HAVE BEEN SPEAKING TO PROFESSORS THRU EMAIL AND HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT DELAYED ONSET OF TINNITUS IS POSSIBLE. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• Community Owner

Yah the VA changed some of the rules about a year a go or so. I have seen a lot of people getting denied for the same reason you did. They have been giving a lot of 10% for service connections if not 0%. 

Watch this video. https://youtu.be/6_KEM4OzyWg?si=OhBJXhw4Qq3CBz4G

These may be helpful.

Evaluation of Hearing Impairment of Auditory Acuity-S4_85.pdf Exceptional Patterns of Hearing Impairment-S4_86.pdf Schedule of Ratings - Ear-S4_87.pdf

On 3/23/2024 at 3:54 PM, LOUOLDIES said:

I WAS DENIED FOR TINNITUS 3 YRS AGO BUT WAS APPROVED FOR HEARING AIDS.  THE REASON IS THAT LENGTH OF TIME FROM BEING DISCHARGED HAS BEEN TOO LONG TO HAVE TINNITUS AT MY AGE OF 74.  i WAS STATIONED IN A 5 INCH GUN MOUNT FOR GENERAL QUARTERS AND IT WAS EXTREMELY LOUD WITHOUT HEARING PROTECTION.  i HAVE BEEN SPEAKING TO PROFESSORS THRU EMAIL AND HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT DELAYED ONSET OF TINNITUS IS POSSIBLE. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS.

The compensation that the United States pledged to pay to veterans  pursuant to 38 US Code § 1131 for personal injury or diseases that occurred during their active military service  was not made to compensate the veteran for the disability, but rather was offered by a grateful Nation to compensate the disabled veteran for the impairment suffered to their earning capacity resulting from such injuries in civil occupations.

With that said, your age or the length of time since the onset of the injury is not relevant and doesn't support a denial.  If the disabling injury occurred during service then you would be entitled to finding of service connection, even if the injury is determined as non-compensable.  If you honestly feel that tinnitus it is affecting your earnings capacity, then talk to a VA claim lawyer about filing a Supplemental Claim. 

Not to change the subject, but I use music to treat my tinnitus, here's a link to a song I would recommend. 

• Community Owner

I have saw that one before. It's one of the best ones I have seen of the song. The back up music is so good to his song.