Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• 2024-001-donate.png

• The Full Picture on Continuing Claims After 100%

(1 review)

Tbird

Alright, let's dive deeper into this topic. As a Navy vet and founder of HadIt.com, I've seen firsthand how complex VA claims can be, even after hitting that 100% mark. Let's break this down further and really get into the nitty-gritty.

Protecting Your Rating: It's Not Just About Numbers

When I talk about protecting your rating, I'm not just throwing words around. I've seen too many vets get complacent after hitting 100%, only to get blindsided by a VA review. Here's the deal:

• The VA can initiate a review at any time, especially if your condition isn't considered permanent and total.
    • By continuing to file claims, you're creating multiple "anchors" for your rating. It's like diversifying your investment portfolio, but for your VA benefits.
    • Each service-connected condition adds another layer of protection. If one rating gets reduced, the others can help maintain your overall percentage.

Special Monthly Compensation (SMC): The Hidden Gem

When I first learned about SMC, it was like discovering a secret level in a video game. Here's what you need to know:

• SMC can significantly increase your monthly compensation, sometimes by thousands of dollars.
    • It's awarded for specific situations like loss of use of limbs, need for regular aid and attendance, or housebound status.
    • Even if you're at 100%, pursuing SMC can be a game-changer for your quality of life.

Comprehensive Healthcare: Thinking Beyond Today

As vets, we need to think long-term. Here's why comprehensive healthcare coverage matters:

• If you decide to move overseas (and trust me, some of us at HadIt.com have), the VA will only cover treatment for service-connected conditions.
    • Foreign Medical Program is a lifesaver, but it's limited to service-connected conditions.
    • By documenting all your conditions now, you're setting yourself up for better care down the road, wherever you end up.

Protecting Survivor Benefits: Taking Care of Our Own

This is a tough topic, but it's crucial. Here's the hard truth:

• Some conditions, like ischemic heart disease or certain cancers, are more likely to be considered as contributing to a veteran's death.
    • If these conditions are service-connected, it can make a huge difference for your family in terms of Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC).
    • It's not just about money – it's about ensuring your family is taken care of and recognizing your service's long-term impact.

The Flip Side: When to Hold Your Fire

Now, I'm all for fighting for what you deserve, but sometimes, discretion is the better part of valor. Here's when you might want to think twice:

• If you have a Permanent and Total (P&T) rating, you're in a good spot. Filing new claims could potentially disrupt this status.
    • Minor conditions might not be worth the risk. Ask yourself: "Will this significantly impact my quality of life or care?"
    • If you're dealing with VA claim fatigue (yeah, it's a real thing), consider if the potential benefit outweighs the stress of another claim.

Strategic Approaches to Additional Claims

If you do decide to keep pushing forward, here's how to do it smart:

1. Focus on Significant Conditions: Prioritize conditions that have a real impact on your daily life.
    2. Get Expert Help: Talk to a Veterans Service Organization (VSO) or an accredited attorney. They can provide invaluable guidance.
    3. Build a Solid Evidence Base: Gather comprehensive medical evidence. This isn't just about current records – dig into your service medical records, buddy statements, and post-service treatment history.
    4. Prepare for C&P Exams: These can be stressful, but they're crucial. Be honest about your worst days, and don't try to tough it out.
    5. Understand the Appeals Process: Know your rights and the various appeal options available if your claim is denied.

The HadIt.com Perspective

Look, I started HadIt.com because I was frustrated with how hard it was to navigate the VA system. Over the years, I've learned that knowledge really is power when it comes to VA claims.Whether you decide to keep filing claims after 100% or not, the most important thing is to make an informed decision. Talk to other vets on our forums, consult with professionals, and always keep fighting for the care and benefits you've earned.Remember, your service didn't stop when you took off the uniform, and neither should your advocacy for yourself and your fellow vets.Stay strong, keep pushing, and never forget – you're not alone in this fight.

User Feedback