VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gaf Of 45 To 55

Rate this question

mcso111

Question

I am reviewing my medical records from v.a. hosp and there are several insitances of a gaf either at 45 or 55, anyone know what this will relate to as what the rater would do being there is two different scores.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

the GAF is critically important. at least for a ssd determination in connecticut. my va caregiver got wind that the judges were carefully inspecting the GAF. I have a GAF of 45, which is social and occupational limitations. this in the context of other illnesses i had got me ssd in a week. (i bypassed my whacko lawyer and figured out what was needed to document the case). I submitted the case on my own and got the award a week later. gaf combined with severe major depression atypical got me ssd.

Gaf is critical in analyzing your case. it is a large part of the determination and should be looked on as such by anyone filing a psych sc case. the lower your gaf the better off you are for determination. but your case has to be well documented support the GAF score. my GAF has been the same for years, because i don't play well with people...and occasionally ran with scissors.

e='mcso111' date='Nov 4 2008, 06:52 AM' post='112464']

Thanks everyone for your input, so what i am taking from this is that the gaf alone doesnt hold a lot of weight but the gaf mixed with other factors is what they will rate on. again thanks for everyone's input

Those numbers along with supporting write-ups should get you somewhere in the 50-70 percent range.

Don't worry about having two GAF's for look inside the medical records jacket of a mental patient will reveal many, many different GAF scores. It changes from day to day and sometimes even during an appointment.

• HadIt.com Elder

I had GAF scores in the exact same range with excellent write ups from multiple docs, including a C&P. The criteria for 50% were listed in my C&P, and I still got a 30% rating. I reiterate that the GAF is but one facet of the overall picture when dealing with the VA. It is good information to know on the SSDI end, though. Thanks pattik!