VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Certain Thailand Vets

Rate this question

Berta

Question

"It is now clear that all dog handler and security police claims based on exposure to herbicides at Air Force bases in Thailand are to be sent to C&P Service for review. "

From Colonel Dan-

due to VA Fast Letter 09=20-

and the extreme efforts of Kurt Priessman, hadit member and SVR member,

-this is a victory for some Thailand vets who have AO claims pending.

Also Marilyn Oliver, SVR guest tonight ,was helpful to Kurt in getting this Fast Letter prepared by the VA.

August2009C_PBulletin.pdf

Berta looks a lot like divide and conquer to me. The AO spray that supposedly settled in a neat path on either side of the perimeter fence is a crock! If you have ever seen monsoon wind and/or rain you would realize that containing it to the perimeter is a joke. It contaimminated a great deal of Nakhon Phanom Royal Thai Force Base since the base was hacked out of the jungle just across the Mekong River and Laos. I was stationed there from August 1969 to August 1970. My Air Force Specialty Code was 65190 Procurement and Contracting. In this job we were often all over the base and that included projects adjacent to the "perimeter". I think the whole damn base was contaiminated....there was very little vegetation inside the wire. VA is trying to minimize their liability...."Damage Control". First it was never there; then it was on the perimeter only....talk about deception; VA is a master at it.

I have had a claim for AO exposure since January 2005. Within the last two months my claim was before the BVA for the second time and no mention of Fast letter 09-02 or the August 2009 Compensation and Pension Service Bulletin. Claim is now at the CAVC for the second time. Court was not happy with the BVA the last time so I hope they plant a big ole boot in their rear area.

Edited by rthomass

Greetings

The VA has confirmed that I have DMII (currently being treated with Metformin 1500 mg AM / 1000 mg PM and Glyburide 10 mg since 2006) and Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy of the lower and upper extremities but have not rated them service connected. My last major TIA, when I was admitted to the hospital emergency center) my blood sugar was 399. The VA concluded that my DMII may have been the sole cause for my micro stroke but still denied my claim. As mentioned earlier, I have an appeal for DMII and severe joint space loss with subchondral sclerosis, cystic change and marked marginal osteophytosis at the first MTP joints which also were denied in an earlier claim. As a gas passer (no fun intended) I delivered fuel everywhere (perimeter, flightline, chow halls, hospital support tanks) at NKP and Korat base in Thailand from 1970 to 1973, but that cliam was also denied by the VA. As you can see, I have a long fight ahead to win my cases. Your listening ear and advice are very helpful.

Best Regards

Chiefhouse

Chief House:

Like you I work near the perimeter, in my case it was at the Auto-Din building on the perimeter of Camp Friendship, so far all of my claims for exposure to AO have been denied but I keep appealing them. In a May 2010 bulletin the RO were told not to refer any Thai vet's claim to the C&P service but to decide the case at the local level, Air Force Security Police and Security dog handlers were to be granted exposure on a facts found basis. Any other Air Force vet that could prove that his duties put him on the perimeter could also be granted AO exposure on a facts found basis. If you can submit sworn buddy statements with your claim as well as copies of your performance reports which might describe your duties and where they were performed, also any picture of you working on the perimeter. I just appealed my diabetes and glaucoma claim that was denied in Sep of 2010, the RO ignored evidence that I had submitted, I'm still waiting to hear on my IHD claim which was submitted in Nov 2009 and I've recently submitted a claim for PN secondary to my diabetes. I am prepared to take my claim as far as I have to.

Good Luck

Rick

Compensation_Pension_Sevice_Bulletin_-_May_2010.doc

It contaimminated a great deal of Nakhon Phanom Royal Thai Force Base since the base was hacked out of the jungle just across the Mekong River and Laos. I was stationed there from August 1969 to August 1970.

Edited by wdroberson