Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Serious Pain Syndrome

Rate this question

betrayed

Question

Havnt been around much for the last two weeks due to many doctor appointments and filing for SSDI.

Lady called me from SSA yesterday wanted to know if medical records I sent her were hers to keep. I said yes, she said thank god I wouldnt want to copy all this. I said well I did so I could send them to you, there are 657 pages and it cost me $40 to copy and $10 to mail.

Back to the topic question.

I was looking at my C&P Physical for mental disorders,

the Doctor has listed under :

Axis I - Major depressive disorder secondary to pain syndrome.

Axis II - No Diagnosis

Axis III 1. Osteoarthritis (probable) of the cervical spine.

leading to problems with his right arm.

2. Chronic renal lithiasis with pain.

3. some knee problems

4. History of Vertigo.

Axis IV- Serious pain syndrome

Axis V- GAF 50-45

what do the different Axis things mean?

When I filied my initial claim with VA one of the conditions listed was Chronic Pain, the VA completley ignored this, never recoginized it in any of the decisions or the SOC. Just like it was never listed. I sure would like to be able to cram it down their throat.

the CFR has

Somatoform Disorders

9422 Pain disorder

Also I think I have a anxiety disorder, I am prescribed oxazepam and xanax er..............

Going to a civilian physc (non va) on wednesday.

Seems like I could coudl get these added...........Any ideas or suggestions?

Edited by FLHRCI

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

FLHRCI

The Axis system is a little complex. Basically they catagorize your disabilities. Below is an explanation of axis IV. Also Somatoform disorders are pain disorders that occur in the absence of organic explanations. It is when the doctor says that there is nothing really wrong it is in your head. Considering the diagnosis of cervical disc herniation they should drop the somataform diagnosis. For rating purposes it would be duplicative of the medical problem.

My thoughts

Axis IV

Psychosocial and Environmental Problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psychosocial and Environmental Problems is for reporting psychosocial and environmental stressors that may affect the diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis of mental disorders. A psychosocial or environmental problem may be a negative life event, an environmental difficulty or deficiency, a familial or other interpersonal stressor, an inadequacy of social support of personal resources, or other problems relating to the context in which an individual's difficulties have developed. Positive stressors, such as a job promotion, should be listed only if they constitute or lead to a problem, as when an individual has difficulty adapting to the new situation. Psychosocial and Environmental Problems fall into nine categories, including primary support group, problems related to the social environment, educational problems, occupational problems, housing problems, economic problems, problems with access to health care services, problems related to interaction with the legal system, and other psychosocial and environmental problems that are affecting an individual's ability to function in their daily activities of life.

Problems with primary support group

Problems related to the social environment

Educational problems

Occupational problems

Housing problems

Economic problems

Problems with access to health care services

Problems related to interaction with the legal system/crime

Other psychosocial and environmental problems

• HadIt.com Elder

FlHRCI

I think with your Axis I diagnosis you have enough to get TDIU or 100% if you get some good IMO's. Major depression is a psychotic disorder that compelely disables many people. I have the chronic pain thing as well and I can tell you that chronic pain aggravates depression and vice versa. If all these things making up your GAF are service-connected you have a lot to work with regarding getting a higher rating. Even if some of the pain stuff is psychological it is still real and is compensable.

FlHRCI

I think with your Axis I diagnosis you have enough to get TDIU or 100% if you get some good IMO's. Major depression is a psychotic disorder that compelely disables many people. I have the chronic pain thing as well and I can tell you that chronic pain aggravates depression and vice versa. If all these things making up your GAF are service-connected you have a lot to work with regarding getting a higher rating. Even if some of the pain stuff is psychological it is still real and is compensable.

Yup everything is service connected. Kinda hard for em to deny service connection when u do 28 yrs active, come out all messed up!

Its amazing what you can find to use to your benifit if you read your records. A couple weeks ago I was having a panic attack and this was a week after my VA shrink gave me oxazepam for anxiety, anyway I called him when I had the attack, told him the meds were not working. He told me I should admit myself. He's fired! I am seeing a non VA shrink tomorrow. My family doctor did the referal and put me on xanax er, and it works good.

VA has only given me a 30% rating for depression, I think using what the C&P examiner wrote for the Axis I Diagnosis I have a good chance of getting it raised and hopefully getting the pain disorder and axiety disorder to boot.

• HadIt.com Elder

My Friend

Following your VA doctor's advice and getting yourself admitted probably would have really helped you to get a higher rating on your emotional disorder thing. I know it seems silly but that goes a long way to showing them how disabled you are.

My Friend

Following your VA doctor's advice and getting yourself admitted probably would have really helped you to get a higher rating on your emotional disorder thing. I know it seems silly but that goes a long way to showing them how disabled you are.

Maybe so, but I dont trust the VA, dont want to be kept against my will. I think the doctor should have noted our phone call and made a appropriate entry in my VA med record.