VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Shingles , Va ,medicare,champva

Rate this question

Berta

Question

This is probably in wrong forum.....

I am pretty sure my neighbor ,40% SC, got a shingles vaccine at the local VA.

Many of us seniors over 60 who have had chicken pox as kids, are being advised to get the one time shingles shot, and even those who never had chicken pox are too, as.they might even forget they had this childhood disease.

When I got my flu shot, the pharmacist advised it and I said I would check with my PCP and saw her yesterday.

According to this :

'Two relatively new immunizations are

covered under CHAMPVA.

Gardasil®

, a vaccine for

young

women

which treats genital human

papilloma virus (HPV) and

Zostavax®

, a vaccine for

both men

and women over 60

years that may

help prevent shingles”

http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/champva/champva_customer_newsletter/YourHealthV2N2.pdf

The Medicare site says this:

Will Medicare cover the shingles vaccination?

The shingles vaccination will only be covered if you have a Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan. The amount of copayment / coinsurance (money you have to pay) for the vaccination varies, depending on your plan. Medicare part B does not cover the shingles vaccine.

My PCP doc said it costs about 300 bucks without insurance.

I will call my pharmacist doc today to see if he meant he can give me the Zostavax, that CHAMPVA covers.

My doc said shingles can become extremely painful and frustrating to deal with,so I guess this shot is a good preventive idea.

Maybe this info will help someone here. Has the VA offered any seniors here the shingles shot as a preventative medication?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Berta,

"Many of us seniors over 60 who have had chicken pox as kids, are being advised to get the one time shingles shot, and even those who have never had chicken pox are too, as.they might even forget they had this childhood disease"

Aren't they also encouraging seniors to get the shingles shot who never had chicken pox as kids?

When I was about maybe 27 or so, I was on my way to work. Then, I rode the bus into downtown, for it was cheaper. I had felt perfectly fine, then all of a sudden my back hurt so much and all and I knew something was not right. I got off in front of the hospital and went to the ER. I only had a very small spot on my side, but they said it was shingles. I had to stay at home about one week and rest. Honestly, I cannot remember what meds they gave me. It just came on very suddenly and very painfully. It makes me wonder now if I can still take the shot. I will definitely check on this.

My mother had shingles years back and it was so painful for her. She always said that the medication that they gave her was almost worse than the shingles itself.

I do not go to VA, because they are not accepting new people, such as myself, but I go to my local private doctor who accepts Champva. This saves me 1 1/2 hour drive.

I just called Champva and since I have not met my deductable ( or even used it for 2013), I will owe the $50.00 co-pay and then the 25% of total for the shot. Champva pays for the shot only, but not for administering the shot.

Now, I need to also check with my pharmacist about cost and everything.

Thanks for thiis information.

Celia

We were just at VA hospital for doc appointment and I was surprise to here the whole floor talking about shingle shot. The man who had appointment before hubby was waiting for his shingle shot. Mom had shingles, it is painful. Walgreens offers shingle shot, so I thought it was covered by Medicare, like the flu shot they offer. Hubby had to get blood work and just for info, VA offering HIV testing. I wonder what that is about. Wasn't there some screw up at VA clinic or hospital concerning HIV or needles?

VA offering HIV testing. I wonder what that is about. Wasn't there some screw up at VA clinic or hospital concerning HIV or needles?

Yes, from what I remember - through dental and colonoscopy's.

It was at the Murfreesboro, TN location (Alvin C. York) and also at the Augusta,GA. VA. I remenber the Alvin C. York, since it is in Middle Tennessee and we are in West Tennessee and thinking "no, you will not send David there for any reason whatsoever." I also remember the Augusta GA VA, since my parents live south of there and if David had gotten sick, we would have gone to Dublin GA VA.

Yes, from what I remember - through dental and colonoscopy's.

"Aren't they also encouraging seniors to get the shingles shot who never had chicken pox as kids?"

Yes you are right.... I found more info on the net on shingles and am definitely getting the shot. I use Walgreens myself for flu shots and for this one.

The Flu shot I got, Afluria, they now recommend getting as early as October in 2013.

HIV:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/hiv-exposure-buffalo-hospital-article-1.1239716

“More than 700 patients at the Buffalo Veterans Administration Center may have been exposed to HIV, hepatitis B or hepatitis C because of accidental reuse of insulin pens, according to a hospital statement and published reports.

Authorities told The Buffalo News there is a "very small risk" for the diabetic patients who may have been exposed to the reused insulin pens between Oct. 19, 2010 and November 2012. The VA memo obtained by the News said the problem was discovered by a routine pharmacy inspection last Nov. 1. The News first published the report on its website Friday.

The VA also notified western New York members of Congress of the possible exposure.”

This happened about a month ago...Iget so ,much info like this, I dont know if I even posted it at hadit.

A very good friend of mine was thinking he could be potentially set for a biopsy at Buffalo due to some serious info he got Monday from the VA.

I was pretty upset about that myself and didnt tell him of this story yet....then he found out the test results VA gave him were incorrect anyhow.