VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vic Rehab

Rate this question

Patrick428

Question

I'm not that up on VA Voc Rehab, but will ask a few questions. Have a Vietnam veteran who served in combat as a Marine, is 67 years old, and has been denied IU on two occasions. He received his second denial for IU based on an evaluation by Voc Rehab, done completely on record. In his decision it stated, he could work as a cab driver, Dominoes Pizza delivery man, a Limo driver, etc. This veteran never sat face-to-face with a Voc Rehab counselor to complete an evaluation. I'm wanting to know is this proper, and does age play a role in Voc Rehab decisions. This veteran is 50% PTSD, DMII, PN in 4 extremities, and tinnitus. He meets the rating requirements for IU. I read his recent C and P which was favorable, but he did not get an increase to 70%. Personally, his age being 67 and has service connected disabilities would make me think that he should have had a sit down Voc Rehab evaluation, or simply no evaluation at all. However, it is what is, and I would like comment about this.

Patrick

Edited by Patrick428

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Voc Rehab has two jobs. If a Vet is trainable they help them get a job. If the Vet can't work they consider quality of life and help Vet. They gave me a temperpedic bed, two commodes that are high, offered to put in bars to get off toilet and helped me get bathroom remodel through a grant program.

They are not easy people to deal with and Vet has to jump a few hopes including watching a film, taking some tests and a meeting with a Voc Rehab Councillor. Process can take several months and can be quite frustrating.

Thank you for the reply. Ths main issue is this veteran never had a one-on-one with a Voc Rehan Counselor. He was render capable of training based a review of the record. I feel this veteran should of had an inperson evaluation so he could answer any questions about his abilities. He's a Vietnam veteran, 67 years of age, and has not work in 3 years. I tend to believe, had he been provided an inperson evaluation, then it would have been a no brainer seeing this guy cannot work.

Patrick428

Did he formally apply for Voc Rehab?

They set up counseling appointments upon receipt of the formal application.

Most vets (unless this changed) get 2 or more one to one sessions with a counselor.

Would he give you permission to scan and attach here their Reasons and Bases for the TDIU denial?

"does age play a role in Voc Rehab decisions" That is a good question...I dont know....

It doesn't for Chapter 35 ( DEA dependents educational benefits)

I think I was already receiving Medicare or close to it when VA paid for my final Chap 35 college benefits.

Does this veteran get SSA retirement or SSDI disability?

If he was getting SSDI ,since filing his claim and maybbe they changed that to SSA retirement when he turned 65, was the SSDI solely for his SC disabilities?

I am surprised a negative TDIU decision was made regarding Voc Rehab info, when he didnt even have a face to face Voc Rehab interview....????

Berta,

Did he formally apply for Voc Rehab?

He applied for IU and the Regional Office did a Voc Rehab on the record, no interview. And he did not apply for Voc Rehab.

They set up counseling appointments upon receipt of the formal application.

Most vets (unless this changed) get 2 or more one to one sessions with a counselor.

No sessions

Would he give you permission to scan and attach here their Reasons and Bases for the TDIU denial?

I can ask the veteran and see if he would allow this to happen, or I can direct him to sign up.

"does age play a role in Voc Rehab decisions" That is a good question...I dont know....

It doesn't for Chapter 35 ( DEA dependents educational benefits)

I think I was already receiving Medicare or close to it when VA paid for my final Chap 35 college benefits.

Does this veteran get SSA retirement or SSDI disability?

This veteran has never been on SSDI, but receives FRB from SSA

If he was getting SSDI ,since filing his claim and maybbe they changed that to SSA retirement when he turned 65, was the SSDI solely for his SC disabilities?

I am surprised a negative TDIU decision was made regarding Voc Rehab info, when he didnt even have a face to face Voc Rehab interview....????

They made a decision based on his file or on the record about Voc Rehab, and because the VA did so, they denied his IU.

Patrick428