VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is this a CUE

Rate this question

kluender

Question

I just read my cousin's VA medical records and discovered that in 2006, during a consultation, the clinical psychologist wrote, "...one could make a case for PTSD, but I was struck by his severe major depression.  He reports vague hallucinations, which may be part of a schizoaffective disorder, but could be associated solely with a severe major depression with psychotic features."  He also wrote, "While in the military, he did experience a trauma in seeing a fellow soldier underneath the tires of a truck, although this individual did apparently recover. He noted continued bad dreams about this."  

Prior to the psychologist's assessment, under symptoms/diagnosis, PTSD is checked. After the assessment, depression and PTSD are both checked with a question mark beside PTSD.   

05/19/2015, he filed a claim for "service connection for post traumatic stress disorder, to include depression" and was denied "because the medical evidence of record fails to show that this disability has been clinically diagnosed." Also, "During your VA examination, no diagnosis of PTSD was made. Also, we have not found that you experienced a stressful event in service, including fear of hostile military or terrorist activity."  

Around August 2016, he applied again and noted trauma from seeing his friend injured under a 2 1/2T and also from having his hometown best friend, who my cousin talked into entering the military with him, die after his truck went over a bridge. He received 10%. A NOD has since been filed. I found the psychologist's 2006 diagnosis after the NOD.

Can anything be done about oversight of the 2006 diagnosis of PTSD and severe mental depression at this late date?

Texas is Beautiful Buck. I was there when my daughter graduated from Lackland- Basic Training ( 7 years USAF Intel) I was surprised to see a Pine tree growing opposite a palm tree at the BX.

"the only thing here in Texas is they say  the weather will change in a blink of the eye"

Here in the hills of NY they say, if you don't like the weather- wait ten minutes and it will change.

We have had a very strange winter. One day last week was in the high 40s and yesterday it dipped to 10 and then snow changed to rain and then back to snow/ice mix with poor visibility-very slippery.I have a 350 foot drop to the highway that gets me to church. Many didn't show up yesterday because even the flat areas were difficult to drive in.It took me longer to get there but the views are astonishing here in NY-no matter what kind of weather we have. Take care of yourself Buck. Many around here are sick.