Jump to content


  • Search

  • 0

Vocational Rehabilitation And Employment Program


http://www.allmilitary.com/benefits/vocrehab.html Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment ProgramThe Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program (VR&E) helps veterans who have service-connected disabilities prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. For those veterans who cannot work due to their disability, the program provides services that will help them lead more independent lives.

Available Services:

  • A comprehensive rehabilitation evaluation to determine your abilities, skills, interests, and needs in order to cater to your strengths.
  • Vocational counseling and rehabilitation planning.
  • Services to help you develop your resume and brush up on your job-seeking skills.
  • Assistance in order to find and keep a job.
  • Resume-boosting training such as apprenticeships, non-paid work experiences, and on-the-job training.
  • Post-secondary training at a college, vocational, technical or business schools.
  • Supportive rehabilitation services including case management, counseling, and referrals to outside help-professionals.
  • Independent living services.

    In order to be eligible for an evaluation, a veteran must meet three conditions:
    • Have received or will receive a discharge that is not dishonorable.
    • Have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10%.
    • Submit a completed VA Form 28-8832.

      You are eligible for up to 12 years after the date you separate from active military service or the date you were notified of your VA disability rating, whichever came last.

      After you have established your eligibility, you must meet with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC). The counselor will evaluate you and determine whether you are entitled to Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment services.

      The counselor will evaluate:
      • Your interests, aptitudes and abilities.
      • Whether your service connected disabilities impair your ability to find and hold a job based on your already-developed skills.
      • Your vocational experience and your goal development.

      Based on the evaluation and your medical records, the counselor will determine whether you have an employment handicap. If the counselor decides that you are entitled to Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment services, then the next step is to meet with your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor to decide on what services will best assist you.

      <H2 class=no_margin>How It Works</H2>After establishing eligibility and then entitlement for Vocational Rehabilitation benefits, you and a Vocational Rehabilitation counselor will work together to select a program track that will hopefully lead you to your goal of gaining employment or being able to live on your own without aid.

      You and your conselour will:

        [*]Find any available employment or independent living services that would be viable for you.

        [*]Determine what transferable skills you hold that could be an asset to you in the job market.

        [*]Narrow down job opportunities to those that coincide with your desired wage, physical demands and suitable employment goal.

        [*]Develop an individualized rehabilitation plan.

        Your rehabilitation plan is a written outline, signed by both you and your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor, of the services, resources, and criteria that will be used in order to help you accomplish your goal of either gainful employment or independent living. This plan is annually reviewed to determine whether any changes need to be made to better assist you in achieving your desired goal.

        Your plan is modeled after one of these options:

          [*]Re-employment with previous employer.

          [*]Rapid access to employment.


          [*]Employment through long-term services.

          [*]Independent living services.

          Once a plan has been selected, you and your counselor will continue to work on ways to best implement the plan in order to meet your needs. Your counselor will coordinate services such as tutorial assistance, training in job-seeking skills, medical and dental referrals, adjustment counseling and other services are necessary so that you can gain employment or live independently.


          If you think you may qualify, visit your VA regional office or call 1-800-827-100.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 answer to this question

Recommended Posts

Thanks Carlie a really timely post

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Advertisemnt

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Latest News
  • Our picks

    • If you are a Veteran, represented by MOPH, you need to know that MOPH is closing down its offices.  This can have a drastic effect on your claim, and it wont be good for you.  You likely need to get a new representative.  

      This station confirms MOPH is closing its doors:


      • 0 replies
    • Retroactive Back Pay.
      Retroactive Back Pay - #1Viewed Post Week of March 19. 2018

      My claim is scheduled to close tomorrow for my backpay.
      Does anyone know if it does close how long till the backpay hits the bank?
      Also does information only get updated on our claims whenever the site is down?
      • 44 replies
    • Examining your service medical records...
      * First thing I do after receiving a service medical record is number each page when I get to the end I go back and add 1 of 100 and so on.

      * Second I then make a copy of my service medical records on a different color paper, yellow or buff something easy to read, but it will distinguish it from the original.

      * I then put my original away and work off the copy.

      * Now if you know the specific date it's fairly easy to find. 

      * If on the other hand you don't know specifically or you had symptoms leading up to it. Well this may take some detective work and so Watson the game is afoot.

      * Let's say it's Irritable Syndrome 

      * I would start page by page from page 1, if the first thing I run across an entry that supports my claim for IBS, I number it #1, I Bracket it in Red, and then on a separate piece of paper I start to compile my medical evidence log. So I would write Page 10 #1 and a brief summary of the evidence, do this has you go through all the your medical records and when you are finished you will have an index and easy way to find your evidence. 

      Study your diagnosis symptoms look them up. Check common medications for your IBS and look for the symptoms noted in your evidence that seem to point to IBS, if your doctor prescribes meds for IBS, but doesn't call it that make those a reference also.
      • 9 replies
    • How to get your questions answered on the forum
      Do not post your question in someone else's thread. If you are reading a topic that sounds similar to your question, start a new topic and post your question. When you add your question to a topic someone else started both your questions get lost in the thread. So best to start your own thread so you can follow your question and the other member can follow theirs.

      All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

      Tips on posting on the forums.

      Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

      Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

      Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

      Leading to:

      Post clear questions and then give background info on them.


      A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

      I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

      B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

      I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

      This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.


      Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

      This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
    • I have a 30% hearing loss and 10% Tinnitus rating since 5/17.  I have Meniere's Syndrome which was diagnosed by a VA facility in 2010 yet I never thought to include this in my quest for a rating.  Meniere's is very debilitating for me, but I have not made any noise about it because I could lose my license to drive.  I am thinking of applying for additional compensation as I am unable to work at any meaningful employment as I cannot communicate effectively because of my hearing and comprehension difficulties.  I don't know whether to file for a TDUI, or just ask for additional compensation.  My county Veterans service contact who helped me get my current rating has been totally useless on this when I asked her for help.  Does anyone know which forms I should use?  There are so many different directions to proceed on this that I am confused.  Any help would be appreciated.  Vietnam Vet 64-67. 


How to get your questions answered.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

  1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ ...
  2. Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title ... 
  3. Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help ...
Continue Reading

  • Advertisemnt

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading


Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines