VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Ao Now Or Later

Rate this question

Leroy

Question

Hello,

I have a new letter to reopen my existing PTSD file, i may also have a claim for AO; ischemic heart disease.

my question is: knowing the politics of the VA, should i open my AO claim at the same time as i reopen my PTSD claim, in other words could the VA mess with me by trying to lower rate me, on AO, and PTSD, if they are both granted at the same time.??

Thanks for the input

sunny

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

The VA will rate you based on your medical evidence-I wouldn't worry about

"could the VA mess with me by trying to lower rate me, on AO, and PTSD, if they are both granted at the same time.??"

If the rating is too low based on your evidence and the VA's Schedule of Ratings, you can appeal that decision.

I suggest that you file the AO claim separately from any statement with your intent to re-open the PTSD claim.

You could use VA form 21-4138 for each claim and send both forms in at the same time.

AO claims under the new presumptives are being handled differently than other claims so I do not advise you file these claims on the same 4138 or in the same letter.

For the re 0opened PTSD claim they will need to have new and material evidence that was not considered before.

For the IHD claim- proof of AO exposure (which for most vets will be their DD 214)and documented proof of Ischemic heart disease. The regs mention METS testing as well as Ejection Fractions which are found in ECHO reports so if you have this proof and send copies of these medical records to the VA it could make the IHD claim move a little faster.