• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iom Ptsd Report

Rate this question

Berta

Question

http://vawatchdog.org/07/nf07/nfMAY07/nf050907-1.htm

Larry Scott doesn't have the actual report yet-but stated:

"This is the report the VA didn't want," said Larry Scott, founder of the group VAWatchdog.org, who applauded the conclusions. If the IOM's recommendations are implemented, he said, they will cost VA "billions of dollars -- more staff, more staff training, more data collection, more clinical evaluations and higher awards."

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

The findings were posted in another thread and were quite favorable for vets with PTSD. Every time the VA goes on a witch hunt for PTSD they get burned....one wonders when they'll learn to cut their loses whilst they're ahead:-)

Has anyone seen the results of the study that connects higher than average hormone levels and above average intelligence with the propencity to develop PTSD?

In other words, are the troops most likely to develop PTSD the ones that are the most desirable for the armed forces to enlist in the first place?

Could some kind of anti-hormone therapy cut down on the number of cases of PTSD in the first place?

Could some kind of anti-hormone therapy be combined with other therapies to help reduce the effects of trauma, after the fact?

Should the government stop bitching about the number of PTSD cases and start working on a 'cure'?

sledge

Those that need help the most are the ones least likely to receive help from the VA.

It's up to us to help each other.

sledge twkelly@hotmail.com

• HadIt.com Elder

Sledge:

I don't have PTSD although I screen for it but I do have Panic Disorder sort of a relative of PTSD. I share a lot of the PTSD symptoms. Looking back my Dad had PTSD he served in WW2 and had purple heart and bronze star with valor.

Ok here is the point. To acquire PTSD something has to happen. It has to be triggered and once it is triggered and the patient has PTSD they got it for life. Meds and treatment can help. My experience is that you have to study and learn and than deal with it.

Is it caused by hormones and could you take a pill that would stop it from happening who knows. I believe in my heart I would not have acquired Panic Disorder if I was not drafted and torn away from my family.

My brother has raging PTSD. The VA knows it and he knows it but there is not a chance in hell he will ever get full benefits. He currently lives in Mexico on a pension for war time and is very happy with it.

I think that there is a link to family but it still takes a traumatic event to cross the wiring and start PTSD in my opinion.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I have a degree in this field and I'm working on a degree in psychology at the moment, so I'll tell you what I know:

Pete is right, to an extent. Hormones don't "cause" PTSD, nor do they continue symptoms (though they play a role). It's a very complex issue dealing with a lot of fancy terms like classic conditioning, autonomic nervous system, etc.. But, to simplify, something has to happen (as Pete stated), this, in turn, leads to a memory, but not of the ordinary variety. Memories associated with traumatic experiences are stronger (flash bulb memory) because hormones are stimulated at the moment of the trauma, which force a stronger imprint on the brain (think of a normal memory as a love tap and a PTSD memory as a punch in the face). These memories are coupled with autonomic response (fight or flight), which put the body in states of excitement (floods of hormones that amplify feeling/mood and cause severe anxiety).

Drugs like lexapro hinder serotonin, which negates some of this "excitement" and keeps you more "even", but it's like a bandaid on a broken arm; it doesn't really "fix" anything. Hallucinations, on the other hand, are linked to dopamine levels in the brain to which most antipsychotics level out as well, but, again, it's not a fix.

To "fix" PTSD one would need to unlearn the event, which is impossible. So, we instead try to reduce the impact of the event by therapy, drugs and, most importantly, time, but none of those are cures. To use the broken arm analogy again, it's like permanently putting the broken arm in a sling and giving the patient pain meds....it will make life much easier, but, unless you reset the arm and "fix" the problem, you'll always have that broken arm.

That's the short version of PTSD:-) The real key to PTSD is not hormones (that's more of a side effect); rather, it's in our learning process and how we adapt to situations (classic conditioning type stuff). A great example of this type of conditioning is when you touch a hot stove......we know to be extremely cautious around a hot stove, despite only being burned once; so, statistically speaking, why do we exercise caution evey time we touch a stove? Now, what if you were "burned" in combat (burned being loosely used for rape, death, shot, etc)? This would translate to a fear of people even though 99.9% of the people you meet are good, just as 99.9% of the stoves are cool, but our bodies still tell us to stay away and be cautious. This is compounded by an overreaction of chemicals in the brain that over-exaggerate the situation and leads us to want to "fight" (lash out, yell, etc) or "flight" (hide, retreat, suicide, etc).

Anyway, that's PTSD in a nut shell.....If I can clear it up further, please ask...it's kinda tough to break it down like this without specifics:-)

OK Jay,

Let's take this to email or some kind of messaging.

I have an idea.

sledge twkelly4@yahoo.com

Those that need help the most are the ones least likely to receive help from the VA.

It's up to us to help each other.

sledge twkelly@hotmail.com

Not really much else to say, but if you want to discuss something you can email me at jay_1699@hotmail.com. But, this wasn't off topic, so I don't see why we couldn't discuss it here. You cited a study on PTSD and so I gave some medical background on PTSD in order to debunk it. "Research" in the field of psychology is limited at best, so it's better to educate oneself on what, exactly, PTSD is to better weed through what can often be very misleading evidence on psychological disorders.

And just to give you a reference point on why this type of research is sketchy at best: A "good" experiment typically involves what researchers call a "representative sample" of people. This sample is anywhere from 100 to a couple thousand strong and typically comes from a single community. Now, ask yourself this - If you were to ask 500 wealthy people from San Francisco a given question, do you think they would "represent" 500 poor people from a predominantly black neighborhood in Alabama? Not a chance! And this is in the same country.....think about asking a sample of Americans as compared to Iranians, Chinese, tribal Africa, etc..

Right off the bat I would question how this study you're talking about came to determine the IQ of its representative sample...do you know that some researchers believe there are several forms of IQ? How do hormones relate to sex characteristics? Are the results the same for females and males? Are the more intelligent service members just more likely to report their PTSD, or do they actually get PTSD more often; how could you even measure that if the lower IQ members aren't reporting their symptoms honestly? Was this research done using self-reporting statements (which many are and they are useless imo), or did they actually do field or clinical studies?

The point is that most studies are overly generalized, yet try to make specific claims and, from the sound of it, this is one of those pieces of research. This is not uncommon at all by the way....how much do we here on TV that obesity causes diabetes, heart disease, etc? Now, even a basic knowledge of physiology tells us that obesity has NOTHING to do with heart disease, diabetes, or any other disease...it is simply the act of taking in more calories than the body burns, thus depositing fat stores. However, how one becomes obese CAN **contribute** to various diseases (IE - if you got fat eating sugary donuts, you have an increased risk for diabetes), but, even in this case, it does NOT cause disease as many lead us to believe. So, having that basic knowledge of anatomy allows one to sift through the nonsense in order to get a real idea of how to eat healthy....this is why I listed the PTSD stuff; so people can look at a study and think, "this doesn't seem to make sense...it's overly generalized".

But, if it's emails you want, so be it:-)

Edited by Jay Johnson