• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iom Ptsd Report

Rate this question

Berta

Question

http://vawatchdog.org/07/nf07/nfMAY07/nf050907-1.htm

Larry Scott doesn't have the actual report yet-but stated:

"This is the report the VA didn't want," said Larry Scott, founder of the group VAWatchdog.org, who applauded the conclusions. If the IOM's recommendations are implemented, he said, they will cost VA "billions of dollars -- more staff, more staff training, more data collection, more clinical evaluations and higher awards."

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My experience with Anxiety is I learned a lot more form people who have it than I ever did from Doc's. In fact the so called experts are so busy talking that they rarely listen. This is a general observation and not a refutation of what Jay has to say.

I also learned in my experience that a lot of people think that they have it and don't. Its actually one thing to get a little nervous about going over a bridge and being petrified and drive 100 miles out of your way to avoid the bridge.

I have long since quit trying to explain what my syndrome is like. I find that people like me understand and people that are not afflicted have a hard time getting a grasp.

Jay I hope that you are able to finish up your studies and being empathetic to your wife is a big help.

One last question do you know of a cure for PTSD or is the best shot just a remission or low symptoms?

My cure and salvation has been Xanax. I am pretty sure that without it I would not be here.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

Sledge:

Going to email deprives a lot of people of a chance to learn or comment on a subject that may interest them.

Of course anyone who wants to can always avail themselves of using PM or email but I think that posts help a lot of people and email only helps one.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

One last question do you know of a cure for PTSD or is the best shot just a remission or low symptoms?

My cure and salvation has been Xanax. I am pretty sure that without it I would not be here.

It really depends on your definition of "cure". One can get their symptoms to a point in which they have little or no impact on their lives, so I guess you could call that a cure; however, they typically still have nightmares, anxiety and other symptoms, but they've learned to control them better.

The problem with throwing around "cure" (and I don't mean this against you in any way..more of a VA tactic) is that it makes one think that the affliction is entirely gone. What I've noticed, even in the most improved of people with PTSD, is that any gains are largely dependent on their surroundings. A vet may be able to live a somewhat normal life, after being 100% PTSD, but that life usually doesn't include work (or, at least, the dependency of work). Once you place that veteran, or anyone else with PTSD, back into a high stress situation there's a fairly high chance for a relapse.

As for xanax - My wife just started on xanax about 8 months ago and has done quite well. She's on the slow release kind (1mg x4 day) and it seems to keep her more "even" than any other anxiety med she's tried (and she's tried them all). Also, it doesn't make her tired, which was a common side effect of previous drugs.

Right now, she's on a combo of Xanax, Lexapro and Serequil with ativan as a PRN med. This combination seems to be the most effective to date, which is great.

By the way, I'm not a huge fan of psych docs either; despite wanting to go into the field. If anything, the lack of good, caring psychs is WHY I want to learn more and pursue the field. The problem, as I see it, is that those docs feel a need to "make you better" and psychology simply doesn't work like that. They often set goals that are too high and down-play serious symptoms.

One of the better psychologists that my wife saw was in a VA hospital. They brought the psych in JUST for her from a city about 1 hr away (Baltimore). The psych specialized in sexual trauma and was quite candid with her. Rather than do the typical "we'll get you all better" nonsense, she told my wife that we should "shoot" for getting 10% better and ultimately hope for a slight increase in quality of life. There was no push for her to work, or rejoin society immediately. It was the first time my wife said, "someone finally understands".