Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Help

Rate this question

niteowl

Question

I'm new here and need some help. I'm trying to help my Dad (84) file for aid and attendence so we can keep him out of a nursing home, and at home with his family. I need all the information I can get in doing this. I'm also doing this long distance. He lives in TX, and I live in AR. What all info do I need??What's the best way to go about filing? All help appreciated. :P

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Niteowl:

Welcome to Hadit and thanks for helping your Dad. We need more information but the best thing is to notify the VA that your Dad needs HB or A&A from the VA. If he is service connected already that will help.

Where in Texas is your Dad. I live in Dallas.

Good Luck

PS You might try contacting a VA Social Worker to help your Dad.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

If he is on VA Pension or receives 100% P & he can possibly qualify for HB (Housebound) or A & A (Aid and Attendance) Benefits.

A & A regs are in 38 USC 1501 ,1502, and 38 CFR 3.35 © (3)

It is also a good idea to access HB and A & A claims at the BVA to see how they evaluate the evidence.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Niteowl:

Welcome to Hadit and thanks for helping your Dad. We need more information but the best thing is to notify the VA that your Dad needs HB or A&A from the VA. If he is service connected already that will help.

Where in Texas is your Dad. I live in Dallas.

Good Luck

PS You might try contacting a VA Social Worker to help your Dad.

thanks for the input. they live in Monahans--Out on the other side of Odessa/Midland.

Will try contactina a VA Social Worker tomorrow. Thanks again. Service Connected?? I do know that he gets his medications from the VA, and sees one of their Doctors. Is that what you mean? or is service connected something else?

• HadIt.com Elder

Monahans is way west. Keep us posted.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

100% SC means the VA is paying him for a disability caused, or exaggerated, by his military service.

As for A&A - It really depends on what his problems are, but the long and short of it is that he needs the assistance of another person in order to function. There's lots of thing that make up "assistance" though. Bathing, feeding oneself, etc are more obvious ones, but there's other things like having a spouse administer medications via a doctor's supervision. I would suggest looking up the regs Berta listed and talk to the VA in his area. You may even want to contact someone like amvets (service organization) for some help, being that you're so new to the process.

Good luck.

When Jay says SC, that is compensation. It is possible that your dad is non-service connected (NSC). You can easily tell the difference. NSC is income based,SC is not. NSC pays a co-pay for the pharmacy, I believe all SC does not. I have 9 ratings SC so I'm not sure if all SC pay $0 for pharmacy.

IC/1 Navy, 100% Schedular + SMC, Shellback, Blue Nose, Crossed International Dateline and Prime Meridian.

II Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."