carlie

Question

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Sledge,

My uncle was killed by the VA and the VA readily admitted it. He went to a VA hospital in the Chicago area and, during a surgery, they knicked his intestine and didn't notice. He developed severe infection as a result and had to have the majority of his intestines removed once they figured out the mistake. He lived through hell for the next few years (on a feeding tube in horrible pain) and eventually died because of the damage the infection caused to his descending aorta.

Despite the VA admitting they caused the problem AND having documented proof of that fact, his family lost his tort claim against the VA.

Tort is designed not to be won, so lawyers tend not to want to take them...the whole point of a tort is to NOT allow anyone to sew the government for the actions of individual screw-ups in the VA, or any other governmental branch.

I wish you luck, but no tort claim is remotely close to a slam dunk unfortunately... even when the VA admitts it's their fault:-(

• HadIt.com Elder

Jay:

Sorry about your Uncle. I figure that someone probably performed the operation that was not up to it. You know the VA uses Vets to train new Docs.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.