Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Something To Read About The Latest House Of Va Hearings

Rate this question

spike

Question

I figured this is something that should be read here.....It affects all those who have PTSD, Unemployability, etc. It is a Cut and Post from a Larry Scott article.

The House Committee on Veterans' Affairs held a roundtable discussion on PTSD on Wednesday, May16, 2007.The full witness list is here... http://veterans.house.gov/

hearings/schedule110/may07/05-16-07/witness.shtml

Rep. Steve Buyer (R-IN), Ranking Minority Member, invited Dr. Sally Satel to testify. Satel is the paid mouthpiece of the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative think tank. Satel's disrespect for veterans with PTSD is a matter of legend. Buyer's "suck it up soldier" attitude is also well-known.

Satel's "blame the veteran" approach is not well-received in the medical community. Quote: "Blaming the veteran for psychological reactions to war fosters stigma, a major reason why veterans do not seek mental health assistance." John A. Fairbank, Ph.D.

For more an Satel, use the VA Watchdog search engine. You'll be amazed at some of the things she has said. Search engine here... http://www.yourvabenefits.org/

What we heard from Satel and Buyer was the "M&M" agenda...minimize and marginalize...that is, minimize the disorder and that marginalizes the veteran. It's a tired old tactic.

Here are Rep. Buyer's opening remarks where he says that PTSD is often used as an "umbrella" and a "catch-all" for any mental disorder...click here to listen or download MP3, 3:36 in length.

Satel's remarks were equally repugnant. She talked about "recovery" and confusing PTSD with other disorders such as phobias, depression and anxiety. She says the VA should be careful of granting 100% benefits for PTSD. Satel added that there must be a "high threshold" for granting PTSD benefits, work is the best therapy and PTSD is a "time-limited" affliction. Here are Satel's opening remarks...click here to listen or download MP3, 9:01 in length.

Later in the hearing there was discussion of "return to work" programs for veterans with PTSD who receive unemployability benefits.

The hearing lasted over 2 hours and 40 minutes. Complete audio is here... http://veterans.house.gov/

hearings/schedule110/may07/05-16-07/05-16-07.wma

-Spike-

Vet Advocate

--------------

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Like Sixthcents, I have been diagnosed with depression, and while I am not receiving any compensation for it, I would be happy to give up the future compensation if I can give up the mental health problem.I am willing to try the different treatments in order to accomplish this.

Tim

Vet and proud of it

Sally Satel - this is just one lady with one opinion. It will take the entire mental health community to make any changes. Like Six said this will take years and that is even if it happens at all. I have depression that is secondary to my Dejerine-Roussy syndrome (secondary to stroke). I have unbearable pain in the left side daily - it feels as though someone is tearing the flesh from my bones or pouring acid on me. I do not know what normal feels like any more but if they could find a cure I would give up any compensation. My point here is if treatment is offered TAKE IT!. A few dollars a month is not worth having to put up with what you guys and gals with PTSD go through. Even if treatment does not provide a cure then you will at least have documentation to continue to support your claim! This same documentation should/will be used to support the current rating system. Just my opinion

It is sad that Vets are looked at this way. As well as these kind of things go un noticed on capital hill or in the local news.

-Spike-

Vet Advocate

--------------