Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Got 21- 8940 Blank...have Questions Though

Rate this question

winkjo

Question

Hope All had a nice Armed Forces Day- a SS Admin Law Judge found "fully" for me in Feb '06 retro to Jan '03. Stated unemployable and awarded Disability Insurande Benefits. Am 62 yrs and at 20% for Type II Diabetes. Re-opened in Dec of 05 for PTSD, Tininitis, hearing loss due to combat duty plus diabetic hearing loss. My med records upon enlistment said my feet were abnormal and noted Pes Planum, but it took me a year to get my records, so I wasn't able to claim for flat feet when I re-filed in '05.

I'm new to this forum and most of the VA's "jargon" (I'm being nice here!). I want to send in the completed 21-8940, but I do not yet savy IU, TDIU, P&T vs 100% or schedular issues. Since I have not had C & P exams for mental issues (tho noted by VA doctors) or for hearing loss, would it be wise to go ahead and file the 21-8940 soon and--if so--would it be kosher to include stressors and any additional supporting evidence that is not in my C-file or slowly being evaluated by VA? I want to not cause MORE delay in the decision process by filing the form, but feel I might prevail. Any ideas, suggestions, or guidance would be a huge help, fellow Veterans. Thanks in advance for ANY help............ Winkjo

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Yeah-it was wonderful- I always put out 6 flags-American,POW, and one for each branch of service-

Thank God for the Armed Services.

Do you have diagnosis of PTSD yet and does your MOS support the hearing loss?

What exactly is the SSA award for?

I would-if I were you- send them the completed TDIU form.(that is a copy of it sent with proof of mailing)

Under # 18 check yes and then under Remarks refer them to separate page and tell them what you get the SSA for.

List all of the disabilities you mentioned here and

also tell them in this separate page of all of the side affects that the meds give you.

Did you get a VCAA letter with an election Notice and what did they specifically ask for in the VCAA letter?

If you have problems with the pes planus put that down too.

The DMII rating seems very low.

Did you NOD that rating?

It would not hurt to state a stressor at this time- I would state anything that the VA can readily verify through JSCURR.

TDIU is the same as 100% rate.

Guest jangrin
Hope All had a nice Armed Forces Day- a SS Admin Law Judge found "fully" for me in Feb '06 retro to Jan '03. Stated unemployable and awarded Disability Insurande Benefits. Am 62 yrs and at 20% for Type II Diabetes. Re-opened in Dec of 05 for PTSD, Tininitis, hearing loss due to combat duty plus diabetic hearing loss. My med records upon enlistment said my feet were abnormal and noted Pes Planum, but it took me a year to get my records, so I wasn't able to claim for flat feet when I re-filed in '05.

I'm new to this forum and most of the VA's "jargon" (I'm being nice here!). I want to send in the completed 21-8940, but I do not yet savy IU, TDIU, P&T vs 100% or schedular issues. Since I have not had C & P exams for mental issues (tho noted by VA doctors) or for hearing loss, would it be wise to go ahead and file the 21-8940 soon and--if so--would it be kosher to include stressors and any additional supporting evidence that is not in my C-file or slowly being evaluated by VA? I want to not cause MORE delay in the decision process by filing the form, but feel I might prevail. Any ideas, suggestions, or guidance would be a huge help, fellow Veterans. Thanks in advance for ANY help............ Winkjo

Winkio,

I noticed in your post you said that you had gotton your hearing loss connected to diabetic hearing loss. Could you give more detail to that. There are many here at hadit that have hearing loss and are not being able to get it SC'd as a loss during service, but if the VA is awarding hearing loss as secondary to DMII than maybe they can get it connected that way.

Also, I wonder if tinnitus could be SC'd to DMII,if DMII causes hearing loss then it is likely that it can cause tinnitus? Thoughts anyone.

Thanks for any more infomation you can supply. It might help a vet.

Jangrin

Yeah-it was wonderful- I always put out 6 flags-American,POW, and one for each branch of service-

Thank God for the Armed Services.

Do you have diagnosis of PTSD yet and does your MOS support the hearing loss?

What exactly is the SSA award for?

I would-if I were you- send them the completed TDIU form.(that is a copy of it sent with proof of mailing)

Under # 18 check yes and then under Remarks refer them to separate page and tell them what you get the SSA for.

List all of the disabilities you mentioned here and

also tell them in this separate page of all of the side affects that the meds give you.

Did you get a VCAA letter with an election Notice and what did they specifically ask for in the VCAA letter?

If you have problems with the pes planus put that down too.

The DMII rating seems very low.

Did you NOD that rating?

It would not hurt to state a stressor at this time- I would state anything that the VA can readily verify through JSCURR.

TDIU is the same as 100% rate.

Winkio,

I noticed in your post you said that you had gotton your hearing loss connected to diabetic hearing loss. Could you give more detail to that. There are many here at hadit that have hearing loss and are not being able to get it SC'd as a loss during service, but if the VA is awarding hearing loss as secondary to DMII than maybe they can get it connected that way.

Also, I wonder if tinnitus could be SC'd to DMII,if DMII causes hearing loss then it is likely that it can cause tinnitus? Thoughts anyone.

Thanks for any more infomation you can supply. It might help a vet.

Jangrin

Hey Jangrin

Glad you replied I may have given the impression the VA had previously awarded additional % for tininitis and also for hearing loss ( was right-handed rocket gunner/demolition man in RVN...resulting in diminished hearing in right ear & lesser loss in left ear...also chronic tininitis). I filed for these in '05 re-open as a result of an annual hearing test

by a new, seemingly more well-trained VA audiologist. No award yet, BUT--what may be more important is what this caring audiologist instructed me to claim. He said I should file for tininitus, diminished hearing from combat,

and also hearing loss as associated with DMII. Apparently there have been cases won as a result of diminished hearing that is directly related to DMII, or the examiner would not have made such a suggestion as a filing criteria.

Also, I doubt that VA would connect tininitis to DMII. Hope this helps with a little insight, fellow Veteran-

Winkjo

HEY BERTA Thank you so much for a lst(!)reply from one who is helping a Vet

get started in this marvelous process of sharing and networking! I plan to get back soon to address those items/questions that you kindly posed...

thanks again- Winkjo