Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Little Warning For All -

Rate this question

Philip Rogers

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Only keep in the bank that which you can afford to lose. I divorced 7 yrs ago. Last month I had $65 dollars deducted from my SSDI deposit as a recovery for charges to ChampVA, by my ex, after our divorce. Somehow they used my SS number. Anyway after 2 weeks of dealing w/ChampVA I was able to straighten it out. To date I've received a $17 refund check from ChampVA(the administration fee) and am awaiting the balance from the treasury. Tomorrow's deposit is short another $65. Just when you think you're free of the BS, here it comes again, seven yrs later. I'll recover the funds but is the aggravation it causes worth it! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

pr

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If a s/c vet dies 4 days before the 1st of the month, does the spouse forfeit the entire month's check?? This vet died on May 28th and Va says they will take back the check that was deposited on June 1st. Also, since you can't file a DIC claim without a Death Certificate (and it takes approx 6 weeks to get the Death Certificates) what effective date will the DIC start? Is it from Date of Claim or Date of Death?

• HadIt.com Elder

Jesse:

I remember that Alex used to say write a letter to the VARO telling them that you intended to file formally when you got the records to preserve and earlier effective date. The letter establishes the date and you have to9 follow up with the documents later but timely. In fact I think that you have up to 1 year.

Seems like since they are paying behind that they should not do that.

Guest jangrin
Based upon what somebody here has already done and the political climate against all vets, especially the vets prior to the 'Gulf', I believe we would all be best served if we did not leave our 'directly deposited' funds in the same account that they land in.

I believe we should look into having another transfer on the 3rd or 4th of each month to a completely different bank because we already know that the VA ignores the rules.

We have all heard of how long it can take to straighten out a VA 'typo' when it concerns money.

sledge

Sledge,

I think that is excellent advise. Chuckles has not signed up for automatic deposit yet. He gets the check in the mail. I think he should open one account for the auto deposit and then move the funds to another account, just as you suggest.

I don't know about everyone else but I do know after filing the claim and waiing a year and a half for a decision, our finances are such that we certainly live from month to month. I plan on starting a cash savings that I put in the coffee can for a rainy day. I am getting nervous that everything now days is done with debit cards and automatic payments, etc. One foul up and you won't be able to access your account and your unable to withdrawn funds. It could be a real problem. I think I'll try to have some cash hidden away. JMO

Jangrin

Concerning effective date of award:

It is my understanding that as long as you file the DIC claim witin one year of the death - the effective date is the first day of the month AFTER the death.

If the DIC claim is filed after one year from the death - then the effective date is the date they recieved the claim.

Of course, to preserve your place in line,(when it will be your turn to have your claim processed) I guess you could file the DIC claim -and send the death certificate in when you recieve it.

I am still trying to untangle the whole concept of which checks the VA tries to gt back. My husband died Feb 5 - and the VA is trying to reclaim his Feb 1 payment from my account. So don't be surprised if they don't also try to take back the May 1 check.

The VA is hard to figure out - as they put bits of info here - and bits of info there - and you have to find them all and put them all together.

The surviving spouse is entitled to the check for the month of death that the vet would have recieved had they been alive. But I am still trying to figure out WHICH check that means -- and the complex rules for getting it.

The VA told me that due to my husband's Feb 5 death - they would recoup his Feb 1 payment unless I sent in a Statement in Support of Claim indicating I was his surviving spouse and entitled to it.

I sent that in, however, 3 months later they are trying to recoup money from my account.

It is hard to figure out their rules -- and even if you do - it doesn't seem like they play by them. Mostly because of the complexity of all of the rules.

What would be so hard for them to be CLEAR - to give an EXAMPLE of WHICH checks count..

Like -- If the vet dies ___ date the spouse is entitled to the ____ check , but not the __ check.

but they have to complicate it with all their rules about IF the spouse applies for pension --and gets the pension --they get the pension instead of the check..

or IF the spouse applies for DIC - then they WAIT 100 years until the DIC is decided before deciding whether to give you the final month check (which they haen't clearly defined WHICH check is the final month check - the one PAID the month they died..or the one Paid AFTER the month they died...

If DIC doesn't start until the month AFTER death- then it would seem like the check for the month OF death would belong to the spouse..

But all I know is that in MY case -- they are trying to recoup the check that was paid four days BEFORE my husband died.

Free

If a s/c vet dies 4 days before the 1st of the month, does the spouse forfeit the entire month's check?? This vet died on May 28th and Va says they will take back the check that was deposited on June 1st. Also, since you can't file a DIC claim without a Death Certificate (and it takes approx 6 weeks to get the Death Certificates) what effective date will the DIC start? Is it from Date of Claim or Date of Death?

I had a problem with VA Education Benefits. The school I was attending screwed up my semester hours and the VA decided they would try to take back 10,000. I was livid and let the school have it, they finally changed all but one semester and I got the amount down to about 2,000. Even that 2,000 went to the school but I had to pay it back so they said. They were garnishing my disability and I had to keep on them so they only took the 2,000 and not more. Finally done paying on that and now have my full disability check.