VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Which Is The Better/stronger Pain Killer/controller

Rate this topic

oxycodone, morphine, or methadone?

I take oxycodone, 15 mg 4 x day as needed with 20 mg oxycontin 4 x a day. the 15 mg for 1.5 yr now, and is not working as well...dosage needs to be upped.. onlly prob is I just went thru hell to get the oxycodone to be issued by va last month..they wanted me to use methadone. I use a private doctor outside VA and see her once a month...and she does my meds and I take them to the va doc to fill. If they are all three about the same then I may talk my private doc into methadone and make va happy....they already provide 8 of my meds.

I have also tried morphine sul...what is the diff between it and just morphine? thanks..t

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oxycodone, morphine, or methadone?

I take oxycodone, 15 mg 4 x day as needed with 20 mg oxycontin 4 x a day. the 15 mg for 1.5 yr now, and is not working as well...dosage needs to be upped.. onlly prob is I just went thru hell to get the oxycodone to be issued by va last month..they wanted me to use methadone. I use a private doctor outside VA and see her once a month...and she does my meds and I take them to the va doc to fill. If they are all three about the same then I may talk my private doc into methadone and make va happy....they already provide 8 of my meds.

I have also tried morphine sul...what is the diff between it and just morphine? thanks..t

That question depends on the type and cause of pain. Oxycodone is perkasett. Oxycontin is highly addictive.

Morphine may be the strongest drug available.

Have you tried torodol?

thanks, no have not tried it...have osteoarthritis and stuff in knees ankles and joints, migraines et.

tried percoset and it did not work well tried morphine sul(whatever the sul is) did not work too well, now on oxycontin and oxycodone...but va wants to put me on morphine or methadone. My dosage of oxycodone is not high enough now and after the fight to get them to give it to me,(my private doc has me on it for 2 yrs now) they agreed finally recently, I am afraid to ask for increase and wondered if either of the other 2 were as strong or worked as well....I still will have to buy oxycontin outside tho.

On the migraines zomig did not work for me, I currently buy the Relpax outside that works good..but va does not have it. So does Va have anything stronger than zomig that will work....

I have a high tolerance to medication..always have....they gave me a chunk of valium for an mri last year..pretty big one and it never had any affect on me whatsoever...t

thanks, no have not tried it...have osteoarthritis and stuff in knees ankles and joints, migraines et.

tried percoset and it did not work well tried morphine sul(whatever the sul is) did not work too well, now on oxycontin and oxycodone...but va wants to put me on morphine or methadone. My dosage of oxycodone is not high enough now and after the fight to get them to give it to me,(my private doc has me on it for 2 yrs now) they agreed finally recently, I am afraid to ask for increase and wondered if either of the other 2 were as strong or worked as well....I still will have to buy oxycontin outside tho.

On the migraines zomig did not work for me, I currently buy the Relpax outside that works good..but va does not have it. So does Va have anything stronger than zomig that will work....

I have a high tolerance to medication..always have....they gave me a chunk of valium for an mri last year..pretty big one and it never had any affect on me whatsoever...t

WHat causes the migraines, Did the VA tell you? Are they Hypertensive. ( BP goes extremely high) Next one you get ask for a torodol shot. That stuff is great for me. Also I take Neurotin for Migraine prevention also I tried Topomax but it did not work.

WHat causes the migraines, Did the VA tell you? Are they Hypertensive. ( BP goes extremely high) Next one you get ask for a torodol shot. That stuff is great for me. Also I take Neurotin for Migraine prevention also I tried Topomax but it did not work.

i see a private doctor for most things, but I have fibro, but have had headaches and migraines in the service, but due to many falls over the last 15 years, because of the knees giving or locking and many of those times hitting my head on the floor or whatever(hit a rock last year and knocked me out), the tension headaches are just about everyday and the migraines 3-8 a mo. so would assume the increas in migraines is due to hitting the head on the floor and stuff on falls.

I just started topomax. so don't know how it will work. is the torodol all you use when you get one? is it only in shot form? thanks..t