Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Wednesday

Rate this question

Jerry_O

Question

On the 27th of May I went to the VA Med Center in KC because I thought I was having a heart attack. After an exam and heart cather I was taken to KU Med Center for a triple bypass. Prior to this while I was on active duty I had a heart attack and stint (May 05). The bypass happenend within a year after being released back into retirement status.

The C&P I suppose is for my MI and increase in PTSD. As a side I was diagnosed with DMII, presumtive for my service in RVN.

I don't know if PTSD is primary to MI and heart problems or DMII.

I do not have my treatment records for the bypass I guess I could unbottom my shirt and show the scars.

I'm a little apprehensive about this as I don't know the questions - although the C&P information posted on this site did help a lot!

Let me add that the treatment I received at VA prior to being transferred to KU Med Center was excellent - top notch!

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jerry:

Don't worry it will be a lot easier than you think and if the VA sent you believe me they have a full report.

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Jerry- the heart problems are more then likely due to the diabetes-

there could be another etiology-of course- but diabetes can certainly cause the condition you have-

I would claim the heart condition as secondary to your SC DMII.

The only problem with that-which many vets have- is that the VA will diagnose the Diabetes and sometimes give the date of a DMII C & P as date of disability from diabetes and then attempt to say that the heart condition pre existed the DMII- therefore no SC granted as secondary.

I am glad to hear you received great treatment. The VA is quite capable of giving every vet good care. It hapoens more then we think although I gripe about the medical errors they do make.

If I were you I would sure look over your SMRs very carefully-

there might well be symptoms of high glucose and other indications of diabetes while in sernice.

I had a vet whose SMRs revealed nothing as to diabetes diagnosis.

It was his vision exam and a few other notations I found in his SMRS from the 1960s- all very hard to read- but they all proved that he was symptomatic of diabetes in service.(fainting spells, penile infection they said was VD but then ruled it out -with no real diagnosis- I proved it was candidiasis-a known DMII symptom due to high glucose, he had fatigue and also blurred vision in his SMRs)

12 years after filing his claim-he finally won.

Diabetes, heart disease as secondary, and also cataracts, and diabetic skin condition.

He won on symptoms-not an inservice diagnosis- as a matter of fact the military tried to say he was a malingerer.

I need to add- his private doctor is a well know diabetes expert but the doc's first med opinion did not follow the criteria for an IMO that VA will accept- the format is here under search for "Getting an Independent Medical Opinion"

He got another IMO and with the SMRs and the doctor's agreement with what they revealed-after 12 years RO,BVA,CAVC, BVA, RO etc-

he succeeded and got a big retro check.

If you can find medical proof that your diabetes was so symptomatic in the military that it caused the heart problems- they will grant SC as secondary for the heart.

PTSD to heart- these claims have succeeded but they needed lots of medical opinions in support-

you can claim that also-I say offer VA any possible reason at all to have any disability service connected-

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.