Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Study Last Night, Apnea/insomnia Rating Question

Rate this question

Nathan104

Question

I currently have a 10% rating for "Insomnia". Along with my other sc'ed disabilities (hypertension, GERD, DDD/DJD, etc.., I am at 50% right now. I had a sleep study performed in service which showed very mild apnea. In my rating decision for Insomnia, it states I was diagnosed with a very mild sleep apnea which did not require treatment.

I have been having more sleep problems lately. Had a new sleep study performed last night at the VA hospital. They said it would be 2-3 weeks before the official word and the Dr to look it over but the sleep technician said that it looks like I have a significant sleep apnea when Im on my back which I was on for about half the night.

I have read that if you are SC'ed for Sleep apnea and are prescribed a pap machine then it is an automatic 50% which would be great.

Im guessing since it states in my Insomnia rating decision that I was diagnosed with a mild sleep apnea in service that I would not have any problem SCing the new significant sleep apnea? Im also guessing that if I were to be SC'd for the Apnea, the Insomnia rating would be taken away? Am I thinking correctly? Thanks.

Nathan

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Took me a long time to respond because I just moved.

VIKE- my apnea is not surrently rated. I have 10% for insomnia under the "brain disease" one. It does state in my rating decision that I was diagnosed inservice for a mild apnea but I am not currently rated for a sleep apnea.

I did finally get the official results for my sleep study. I was found to have severe sleep apnea and am being prescribes a cpap machine. I have not picked it up yet.

My main question right now is

Should I write up letter making an intial claim for the sleep apnea and send it in? During my c&p last month reevaluating my insomnia, I told the dr I had a new sleep study and and was awaiting the official results. Im guessing I will not have a problem service connecting it since it states in my rating decision I had an apnea in service. Just wondering what the best thing is to do now. Im guessing I should send in a letter making an initial claim for service connection of sleep apnea wit prescribed cpap but Im not sure. I dont know if its my medications or what but its getting so hard for me to figure things out and concentrate long enough to decide what to do. Sorry, thanks for any help.

I just had a C&P exam and went through a breathing test/exam for sleep apnea where I had to breath through a tube and hold my breath etc. My exam said I had medium respitory failure,but don't remember the exact wording. I am also on a cpap machine. I would never of discovered a problem if it hadn't been for the Dr. who conducted a C&P exam for a heart condition secondary claim to HBP. He told me there was a corelation of sleep apnia to HBP and heart condition. He literally save my life as my test showed out of a worst case scenario of a 10 I had a 9. Now I'm waiting to see what I will be awarded if any. Currently HBP 10% and Heart 10%.

So there are good doctors at the VA who care and also thank you for your service.

I also have hypertension. Im currently rated at 20% for it. Did not know the hbp was related to the apnea. What heart condition is it that is related as well?

I had an abnormal ekg reading twice when I took my physicals. Was referred to a cardiologist and was seeing him for over two yeasr before I filed a claim for a heart condition. I was awarded 10 %.